P90/P97/P345 mag question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

novaDAK

Bearcat
I remember reading a while back that while the later 8rd mags with the metal follower can be used in the P90, it can scrape or otherwise mark or damage the frame inside the magwell.

How bad does it get and is it worth it, or should I stick with 7rd mags with polymer followers for the P90?

Thanks in advance.

P90

Single-Sixer
I guess anything is possible, but I have P90, P97, and P345 guns and 8 Round Magazines, and I interchange them between them all. I can't tell any difference, and they haven't scratched my P90 any, because I just looked at it.

glockmutt

Single-Sixer
From Ruger has told me they are completely interchangable. The only difference is the 90/97 mags have a warning label that say the gun will fire with mag removed.

pyth0n

Buckeye
P90":386ika5e said:
I guess anything is possible, but I have P90, P97, and P345 guns and 8 Round Magazines, and I interchange them between them all. I can't tell any difference, and they haven't scratched my P90 any, because I just looked at it.

I also own all three and ditto P-90.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
My P-90's are loaded with the 8-round mags. I keep the 7-round mags for target practice. That way there is never an issue with the follower scraping the frame a bit as the last round is chambered out of an 8-round mag.
Best Regards,
ADP3

GaryA

Single-Sixer
All I know is I bought a recently manufactured P90 not long ago and it came with two 8 round magazines, the same kind of magazines that fit the p345. The only difference is the yellow warning label on the P90 mags.

railroader

Single-Sixer
I don't have a p90 but I have a p97 and some of the 8 round mags. The followers in the 8 round mags look identical to the followers in chip mccormick 8 round 1911 mags. I have read numerous times about the CMC followers gouging feed ramps in aluminum framed 1911s. The followers have the ability to come forward past the front of the mag after the last round has fed. 1911 steel frames haven't been a problem. So this is why I'm thinking people bring up the ruger follower gouging the alloy p90 frame. Whether it does or not I don't know. Mark

P90

Single-Sixer
ADP3":1y7lwl1u said:
My P-90's are loaded with the 8-round mags. I keep the 7-round mags for target practice. That way there is never an issue with the follower scraping the frame a bit as the last round is chambered out of an 8-round mag.
Best Regards,
ADP3
I double checked my Frame where the followers would hit with a magnifying glass and can see where the followers do in fact hit the frame. I don't know how long it would take for it to develop into a problem but I think the solution above is a good one.