P90 Light hammer Strikes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buscadero

Single-Sixer
About 10 months ago I posted here about light hammer strikes with my P97, ended up sending it back to Ruger and they fixed it, I had one "click" during a IDPA match, after the fix. The P97 won't compete in another one.
I just purchased a P90, (used. in as new condition) and lo and behold the first hammer drop....click, light hammer strike, at least once out of every magazine. I have over 20 Ruger revolvers, and an LCP that doesn't miss a beat. I've only bought 2 P series Rugers and both have problems. I have never had a problem with any ruger revolver, single or double action or the LCP (over 600 rnds through it) Is there a problem with the P series?
Should the primer hits be off center? Right now my goto is a SS 4-5/8"
45Colt Blackhawk. I've been shooting Rugers for over 46 years and would stake my life on their revolvers. I wouldn't trust a P series as far as I could throw one, which is what I'd have to do because 1 trigger pull equals 0 bang. Has this happend to anyone else?
Jim

buscadero

Single-Sixer
No, their the same handloads I've been shooting in my Colt 1911 and Sprinfield XD45. 4.7 Unique with a Missouri 200 Grain RNFP. Winchester LPP. and I didn't trim the brass, it was within tolerance.
Jim

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I'm using Winchester primers, the slide and firing pin channel is clean.
I'm going to buy a box of factory loads today, this has a light primer strike with every mag so it should do the same with the factory stuff.
Jim

JimEG

Bearcat
buscadero,
Let us know how the factory loads work.
I reload with CCI primers as that is the brand recommended by Lee for use in its priming tool. I have never had a light hammer strike with over 500 reloads through my P 90.
Good luck.
Jim

pyth0n

Buckeye
I had that problem years ago. At least one in every mag full would do it, sometimes more often and it would fire on the second strike. But only at one range session. I watched what was happening and found the slide not going into battery by an almost undetectable amount. When I pushed the slide forward, it never failed to fire. I guesssed the second strike was pushing the slide the rest of the way forward. All it took was to oil the slide. Hope your's isn't to serious.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Well, I guess I'm a little red faced! If you guys hadn't kept steering me towards the ammo, I'd probably still be floundering. After real close look at my loading process, I found that the primers are not seating fully. I have a Dillion 550 and for some reason it's not seating the primers flat or flush. The primers are up about .001 on one side. I re-seated a box with a hand priming tool and all functioned great. Now I suspect that I sent my P97 in for repair for a non-existing problem. When my gun went click, it seated the primer and the next hammer drop fired the round. High primers look like light primer strikes. My guns are fine, my reloads stink. And I thought I knew it all. :? Now to tear my Dillion apart.
Thanks,
Jim
PS (Ignore my signature line)

Mike J

Hunter
Glad to hear you got it figured out buscadero. Sooner or later something like that happens to all of us I think.

FED327

Bearcat
Reloads are usually 99% of the cause of all firearm malfunctions...That is why all firearms companies tell you in the manual to NOT USE RELOADS.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
railroader":3kdl36uz said:
What kind of primers are you using and are you sure they are seated all the way?
Mark

Thanks railroader,
It was your post that really got me looking at my primer seating.
Jim

pyth0n

Buckeye
Glad you were able to solve the problem.
I also remembered an incident with a box of Amer. Eagle, where the slide would not fully close with every round. My reloads worked fine. After a while of trouble shooting, it looked to me the case did not have enough taper crimp. I ran all the rounds through my dies and they all worked fine afterwards. This only happened one time.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Hi pythOn,
This won't happen to me again, I sure am red faced that I didn't catch it.
I've gone through all my large primer reloads, 44 Mag/Special, 45 Colt etc, and about 25% had primers that weren't seated fully. I've found out that my revolvers had strong enough springs and heavy enough hammers that it really wasn't a problem, they could seat the primer and fire at the same time. The autos aren't as strong. Now I'm tearing my primer system apart on my Dillion 550 to see what the problem is. All my small primers seat OK.
I'd like to thank the Forum for all the help.
Jim

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Now I suspect that I sent my P97 in for repair for a non-existing problem. When my gun went click, it seated the primer and the next hammer drop fired the round. High primers look like light primer strikes. My guns are fine, my reloads stink. And I thought I knew it all. Confused Now to tear my Dillion apart.

Hmmm.... had a few "clicks" from my KP90 awhile back. Pull the trigger again & "bang."It was late in the session so I wrote it off to dirty handloads, cast boolits, whatever. I was also testing several different handloads. CCI primers are also known to be a bit hard.

The primer arm on my Lee Classic Turret does seem prone to getting the occasional chunk of crud in it. Once I had a single disc of Bullseye in there and had a whole bunch of primers with tiny little dents in them.

Al James

Hunter
Time to bust that P97 back out for your next IDPA shoot! Glad you got it figured out! Ive had a few head scratchers when it comes to reloading. It usually always ends up being a simple oversight that seems obvious once you figure it out.