P90 jam

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roberth66523

Bearcat
I have an issue with my p90 as I am firing it, it will not let the slide come forward completely. If I rapid fire it works fine but on a slower controlled fire rate of 2 seconds or more between rounds the slide stops about 1/8 inch from full closed. I have tried different ammo, completely disassembled and cleaned firearm and mags, replaced recoil spring and no difference. And suggestions beyond what I have stated would be greatly appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

Does this happen when other people shoot it too?

noahmercy

Blackhawk
The original P series of pistols with aluminum alloy frames occasionally had issues with galling. I'd suggest you field strip the gun, set the barrel and recoil spring aside, and put the slide back on the frame. Then slowly run the slide forward and back while applying pressure in different directions to see if there are any spots where you feel drag. If there are any rough spots, it can slow the slide speed down and cause issues with going fully into battery. The rails should be lubed with a quality grease to prevent galling (I use Tetra).
Another thing to look for is any shiny spots or scrathses where the chamber and slide interface. A burr on either can cause lockup to not be smooth.
Does it do it with the magazine removed?
Does it do it with different kinds of ammo?

roberth66523

Bearcat
No I have tried different ammo and it still does it. I have not noticed it without a mag inserted as it usually happens after the 3rd round fired. I have attached photos of the disassembled firearm. As you can see no galling is present. I have also attached a photo of the gun grease I use.
IMG_0410.jpeg
IMG_0419.jpeg
IMG_0415.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0413.jpeg
IMG_0412.jpeg
IMG_0411.jpeg
IMG_0416.jpeg
IMG_0418.jpeg
IMG_0417.jpeg

roberth66523

Bearcat
No I have tried different ammo and it still does it. I have not noticed it without a mag inserted as it usually happens after the 3rd round fired. I have attached photos of the disassembled firearm. As you can see no galling is present. I have also attached a photo of the gun grease I use.View attachment 22592View attachment 22593View attachment 22594View attachment 22595View attachment 22596View attachment 22597View attachment 22598View attachment 22599View attachment 22600View attachment 22601
IMG_0420.jpeg

hittman

Staff member
I'm guessing you dont see any small burr on the lower or the slide rails?
Light coating of grease on the rails help?
I had one of those once, it too was a DC. Loved it.

roylt

Hunter
You didn't show the guide rod and spring in your pictures. Please post those if you get a chance.

Could be how the pistol is being held though.
So really issue is your hand not the pistol at all. Very hard to tell in a post.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

roberth66523

Bearcat
Understandable but as I was a competition shooter In the marine corps I don't think that the way I hold the firearm is an issue. The spring is new but the guide rod is original

roylt

Hunter
Are you sure the spring is installed correctly?
Smaller diameter goes to the back.

I mention this because I had one backwards once. And I like to consider myself one of the few that know a lot about the P-guns.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Are you sure the spring is installed correctly?
Smaller diameter goes to the back.

I mention this because I had one backwards once. And I like to consider myself one of the few that know a lot about the P-guns.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

I'll have to dig out my P90 now...didn't know there were different ends to the spring.

Edit to add:
My P90 is buried in the cabinet, but I just checked my new-to-me P89 and the spring was backwards...

Aqualung

Last edited:

roylt

Hunter
Nice! glad something good came of this post. I hope the OP gets his figured out too.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I'd get a Heavier Weight spring pak from Wolff and also a heavier Hammer Spring. An extra pound or two will get the slide to fully reset.

I bet it solves the problem

It's a Ruger, we can't try to out think them, sometimes they just need more mechanical force

I have a GP100 that had stock springs and had a terrible DA pull with about 4 stages and 2 flat spots........it was hard to actually hit anything past in your face range.........I put a much heavier Six series hammer spring in, and it actually smoothed up the DA pull by masking the rough internal fitting, the gun shoots ragged holes at 15 yards in DA now. Problem solved.