P90 7 round mags...and Props to Ruger Customer Service in AZ

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FED327

Bearcat
Is it just me? I have never been a fan of the split type follower (shooting star design) to turn 7 round 45 mags into 8 roound mags. Ruger changed theirs when they brought out the P97, but at that time, you could still get the 7 round mags as well and I always replaced mine with the 7 round ones.

I've had 1911 mags using that follower as well as Ruger mags using it that had failed to be 100% reliable. Today, looking at my new P90, I decided to see if Ruger in AZ had any 7 round followers in stock. I spoke with a VERY HELPFUL lady in Parts and they had the followers in stock, she also mentioned I might need a new spring as well...but, she said she was not sure, so she went and got a 7 round mag and compared the spring in it to the 8 round mag spring and sure enough, it is shorter, so I ordered 4 springs and 4 followers, price shipped was $27.50. She also checked to make sure the current mag tubes had not changed and would use the 7 round follower as it is...All is well.

I've had very little contact with Ruger customer service over the years, as I've never had any problems, except for my trash 327 SP101, and even that went well all things considered. However, today again reminded me why I buy Rugers over all others...They have the GREATEST customer service in the Firearms world...I spent 20 mins on the phone with this lady and I'm sure I drove her nuts, but you could tell she was smiling all the time with me and was truly happy to help me and be of service to me...And I told her how much I appreciated her help..

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
That has been my experience as well. There may not be a written lifetime warranty, but they sure do take good care of their customers.

P90

Single-Sixer
railroader":rghiklti said:
If you need more midway sells the followers and springs too. Mark
I ordered all the 7rd followers that Midway had in stock. They only had 3. I have 8 magazines, but three 7 round ones will do me. I'll just use the 8 rounders for target practice and not shoot the last shell before reloading. I notice the 8 rounders are beginning to ping the frame below the feed ramp a little.

smahaley

Bearcat
I like the 8 rounders myslef make is easy to carry half a box of cartridges on me.

But

I've got two 7rnd mags that I would be willing to trade for 8rnd mags if any one is interested.

JimEG

Bearcat
Posts like this are why I like this forum so much. I bought my P90 used and it came with two of the seven round magazines. Thinking that having an extra round might come in handy, I ordered two of the 8-round magazines from Midway. Since then, I have always used the 7-rounders for practice, but keep an 8-rounder with JHP's in the pistol when I carry. I have never had a problem with the 8-round mags, but this is giving me something to think about. Has anyone else had any problems with the 8-round magazines? I can't see any unusual wear or damage to the frame under the feed ramp on my pistol.
"P 90" if you could describe the "pinging" that you are getting on the frame a bit more, it would sure be helpful.
Thanks,
Jim

FED327

Bearcat
JimEG":3cjs4l7u said:
Posts like this are why I like this forum so much. I bought my P90 used and it came with two of the seven round magazines. Thinking that having an extra round might come in handy, I ordered two of the 8-round magazines from Midway. Since then, I have always used the 7-rounders for practice, but keep an 8-rounder with JHP's in the pistol when I carry. I have never had a problem with the 8-round mags, but this is giving me something to think about. Has anyone else had any problems with the 8-round magazines? I can't see any unusual wear or damage to the frame under the feed ramp on my pistol.
"P 90" if you could describe the "pinging" that you are getting on the frame a bit more, it would sure be helpful.
Thanks,
Jim

The follower Ruger uses in the 8 rd mags is not a Ruger design. I believe it was a Chip McCormick design, if my senior brain has not failed me. It has been on the market for years, in 1911 mags, and has some history of not always feeding the last round, usually HP's. I have had several P97's with the eight round mags and ever so ofter, they would fail to feed the last round. I never kept one in use long enough to cause any damage and would never use one as long as I can get the 7 rd followers & springs to retro fit the new ones.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I went to the range the other day and shot my P90 with the 3 factory 8-round mags. I had the same thing happen that I had before:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... highlight=

The last round in the mag ejected with the empty 7th round. These are all metal followers (not sure what design they are and don't have photos). I bought the two additional mags (the P90TH only comes with on mag) the same day in 2008 that I bought the gun.

They look like this:
181481.jpg

Is this an issue you guys have encountered?

I've got an e-mail to Ruger concerning the matter.

Aqualung

P90

Single-Sixer
JimEG":1l29ohhc said:
Thanks,
Jim
Jim, you could see on mine, just directly under the feed ramp, a spot where the tip of the follower was starting to dig into the aluminum. It wasn't bad, but enough to see it was happening. That's the reason I'm switching to the plastic followers. I don't want to wait until it get bad before switching. The spring is supposed to keep it from happening but It might have slipped some on one of mine and let it make contact with the frame. There is a catch on the bottom of the metal follower that the spring is supposed to catch into, to keep it from slipping forward.

P90

Single-Sixer
smahaley":k6isrztg said:
I like the 8 rounders myslef make is easy to carry half a box of cartridges on me.

But

I've got two 7rnd mags that I would be willing to trade for 8rnd mags if any one is interested.
PM Sent