P89M

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just put money down on a P89M which I understand is really a P93DAO that was rollmarked to satisfy a Chicago Police Dept contract after they decided to go with the 93 that had just come out after the 89 was approved.
Does that sound like the story?
This one is all Stainless, real nice condition but no box or papers. One clip.
( Sorry, just couldn't resist ) Just one 15 round magazine.
I read there are also some rollmarked P89P.
Can anyone clarify any of this?
I have several P's but this is my first DAO which I read has a heavy trigger that needs some getting used to.
Im a guy that prefers safeties on my semi's. This one is the basic no trigger-no fire.
Is this internal hammer or striker, and is there a " drop block", for lack of a better phrase.
I should have it by the middle, end of the week.

I do not have a copy of the relevant issue of the Red Eagle News Exchange, but reportedly the P89M was made specifically for the Chicago Police Department, with only 55 of them sold through civilian channels. A post on a different Ruger web site suggests that Chicago purchased approximately 700, which would put the total number produced under 800; given the city's policies with regard to civilian firearms ownership, I would suspect that any P89Ms owned by the police department will eventually be destroyed rather than surplused (if that has not already happened). I have heard the same story you relate: the police department apparently went through their entire procurement process for the P89, but preferred the P93DAO when it was introduced; not wanting to redo all of the procurement paperwork, they asked Ruger to mark the guns as P89s, and Ruger agreed. Some sources state that the "M" in "P89M" stands for "Metropolitan" (edit: or "Municipal", see post #3 below).

The same web site that mentioned a total law enforcement purchase of 700 units suggested that most were produced with a dark finish; blue was mentioned, but I have seen one that appears to have a black (nitride?) finish on stainless steel, with a matching authentication letter from Ruger that states it is a KP89M (i.e., stainless steel). If your P89M is bright stainless, it may be even more unusual than the black/blue versions.

The P89M and P93DAO are hammer-fired; the hammer has no spur, and follows the slide forward after every shot. The P89P is also hammer-fired, but reportedly a different model entirely, being a marking variant of the P95 (with polymer frame) rather than P93 (aluminum frame). Some sources state that the second "P" in "P89P" stands for "Police", but P-for-polymer might be another possibility.

I find the DAO trigger pull to be long but quite smooth; it has often been compared to the trigger pull on a quality double-action revolver. Like a revolver, trigger reset is not particularly short. It is possible Chicago PD acquired their P89Ms when they were making the transition from revolvers to auto pistols, but I have not been able to verify that.

Congratulations on your purchase of a very unusual and highly collectible firearm!
:)

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
I think I've seen an article in print about these. Wonder if it was the ROCS magazine? Can't remember right now.

I agree with the above except I heard the "M" was for Municipal. I'll have to dig out my RENE.

hittman

Staff member
PP89M is what Ruger called this gun. RENE says "M" = Chicago police special contract and PP = P series pistol with finger groove tactical grips.

Hope Chet15 sees this and adds more if he knows it!

I just put money down on a P89M which I understand is really a P93DAO that was rollmarked to satisfy a Chicago Police Dept contract after they decided to go with the 93 that had just come out after the 89 was approved...
I should have it by the middle, end of the week.

Everything go as planned? The P89Ms are about as rare as hen's teeth (apparently only 55 in civilian hands), so pictures would be great if you have a chance & are so inclined!
:)