P89 vs SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
My P89 with a 315-98XXX serial number was produced in August 2007, according to Ruger's Custodian of Records. In Patrick Sweeney's "The Gun Digest Book of Ruger Pistols & Revolvers," which has a 2007 copyright, the KP89 provided to him by Ruger also had a serial number in the "315" block. Sweeney states on p. 72 that the P89 was introduced in 1993, and on p. 74 that P89 serials began in the high "304" block. I can't prove it, but I suspect that Ruger ended the P89 production at the point where the "315" block ended and the "316" block began.

As I recollect, early production P89s had both the original-type small shelved safety levers, the lanyard loop, and the barrel breech was level with the plane of the slide. Later P89 production phased in the re-angled/longer-shelved safety levers and the breech to slide angle was modified, the butt of the breech visibly rose above the plane of the slide where the breech fit in to the breech cut in the slide, and the lanyard loop was deleted.

I would recommend getting one of these latter-production P89s, with the key feature to look for being the modified barrel breech angle; I don't know at which serial number block this modification began-perhaps one of the RENE folks, or Coffeepot can chime in with more specifics.

I hope this helps.

Best, Jon

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
now if you were going to use one for a CCW which one would yall get? the SR9 because its thinner? or would you still use the P89

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Myself I would do the P89. It takes a good holster and a bit of thought to successfully conceal it.

The SR9 will hide easier no doubt.

Still it depends on what you shoot well and works when you decide to carry it.

I have little pistols in my gun safe I don't carry them. If I need more than my P95 to carry I will add the P89 to it. Mags interchange and they are both reliable and will get me home if God wants me to get home from a fight like that.

imho

tk

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
the reason im stuck between these to is because im 20 and im trying to stay under 400 bucks if you all have any more suggestions let me know. i think almost any ruger would be a good bet for my first gun right?
and i just wanted to say thanks again you guys are helping me a ton here

tkarter

Single-Sixer
There are a lot of guns that are easy to carry under 400 bucks. Ruger reliable I am not so sure.

For under 400 I wouldn't beat myself up over a couple of choices. I would shoot them both then decide.

Then I would buy a P95 and carry it everywhere. It does carry a slight bit easier than the P89 did but not enough I won't carry both of them at the same time.

Hope we help you make a decision but ultimately it is yours to make. And what you buy always isn't what you will like to carry unless you are a hard head old person like myself. And that Rev guy who insists Ruger P series aren't accurate. :D

tk

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I normally carry a Glock-either a G17, G21, G34 or G19. Size-wise, the G17 is comparable to the SR9; the G19 is a bit smaller, the others are larger. A Browning-style lock-up pretty much mandates a somewhat thick profile, say, compared to a 1911, whick locks-up via barrel lugs marrying up with slide lug grooves, and can be thinner.

With a good holster, especially a IWB one, and a good belt, there are no particular difficulties in easily, comfortably, and effectively carrying either a SR9 or P89 concealed. My personal preference is towards Blade-Tech's kydex IWB holster, and using a 5.11 or Wilderness 5-Stitch belt-but there are many excellent choices. Just view your gun, holster, and belt (and clothing choices) as overall integrated factors in the concealment equation, and you can do just fine with some fairly large guns.

If you qualify for Glock's Homeland Defender program, or just join GSSF (which costs $35.00) you can buy most standard-size and compact Glocks with standard polymer sights for $398-that's an excellent price for an excellent gun. Reliability and durability wise, both 9mm Glocks and the P89 have superb reputations, have been successfully fielded for years, and are guns that I'd recommend without hesitation.

Best, Jon

pappyd

Bearcat
One thing I have not seen mentioned is the difference in the SR9 from the P89/P95 series in that the SR9 is a striker fired pistol with the same trigger pull every time, like the Glock, XD, and M&P, while the P series is DA/SA (unless you find a DAO model). You really need to figure out what you're comfortable with given the amount of training you intend to get and continue with, and your intended use. Two different animals in my opinion.

Mike J

Hunter
2Fast4U is there any way you can borrow or rent one of each & shoot them before you buy? That is the best suggestion I can give. Also check to see which fits your hand the best.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
well i have held them both, my gpa has a p89 with a hogue grip, and it shoots awesome, but being im not 21 yet its hard for me to rent a gun unless someone lets me borrow it/go with me to the range

Chris1

Bearcat
gatorhugger":32ulsm81 said:
You have to get the 89.
It's got to be the most unique pistol I have seen.
Why you say Gator is it unique?
1. Take it apart, look at the recoil assembly, the Barrel lugs, the transfer bars, the entire slide and its machining. Compare them to any other 9mm.
Notice any difference? You should.
The 89 looks industrial strenght. Bank vault gets overused a lot, but that is what comes to mind.
The gun reminds me of thousand dollar shotguns with it's beefy lockup and rails.

2. It's heavy. That is what you want for a car or house gun. Recoil is just about non-existant for a 9mm because of the heavy weight. In single action mode you have 16 shots of non recoiling 9mm 147 grain talons that shoots like a Ruger Mark .22... Sounds pretty good right?
That heaviness, is caused by steel and aluminum.
Aluminum which is made in a unique manner, that I do not believe is done anymore. It would probably cost too much.
It's thick, it doesn't ding, and rarely even scratches.

Also the heavy 9mm is good for something else, something that has a polymer frame pistol beat, it will not jam.
You cannot limp wrist the thing.

So what is the value of a non recoiling High capacity 9mm that will never rust, not get dinged up too bad even under severe abuse, and fires every single time and has the reliability of a revolver?
$2000 dollars? $1000 dollars?.....
Nope, only $300 bucks.

It's probably the best buy ever made in the gun world. If these guns were manufactured by Beretta in 1980 as the most premium guns ever made, they could have been priced at $1000 and I would have believed it looking at the materials, quality, fit and function.
You simply cannot ask for a better gun if your goal is self defense.
It's not a target gun, it's a protection machine.

This is a great perspective. I have one of each and although I like both, the 89 is such an indestructable brick of a gun. The sr9 is much easier to conceal. but at the same time the 95 could possibly be the ultimate compromise gun and the bonus to this fact is that you can pick it up for 300 flat!

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Chris1":6g221utr said:
gatorhugger":6g221utr said:
You have to get the 89.
It's got to be the most unique pistol I have seen.
Why you say Gator is it unique?
1. Take it apart, look at the recoil assembly, the Barrel lugs, the transfer bars, the entire slide and its machining. Compare them to any other 9mm.
Notice any difference? You should.
The 89 looks industrial strenght. Bank vault gets overused a lot, but that is what comes to mind.
The gun reminds me of thousand dollar shotguns with it's beefy lockup and rails.

2. It's heavy. That is what you want for a car or house gun. Recoil is just about non-existant for a 9mm because of the heavy weight. In single action mode you have 16 shots of non recoiling 9mm 147 grain talons that shoots like a Ruger Mark .22... Sounds pretty good right?
That heaviness, is caused by steel and aluminum.
Aluminum which is made in a unique manner, that I do not believe is done anymore. It would probably cost too much.
It's thick, it doesn't ding, and rarely even scratches.

Also the heavy 9mm is good for something else, something that has a polymer frame pistol beat, it will not jam.
You cannot limp wrist the thing.

So what is the value of a non recoiling High capacity 9mm that will never rust, not get dinged up too bad even under severe abuse, and fires every single time and has the reliability of a revolver?
$2000 dollars? $1000 dollars?.....
Nope, only $300 bucks.

It's probably the best buy ever made in the gun world. If these guns were manufactured by Beretta in 1980 as the most premium guns ever made, they could have been priced at $1000 and I would have believed it looking at the materials, quality, fit and function.
You simply cannot ask for a better gun if your goal is self defense.
It's not a target gun, it's a protection machine.

This is a great perspective. I have one of each and although I like both, the 89 is such an indestructable brick of a gun. The sr9 is much easier to conceal. but at the same time the 95 could possibly be the ultimate compromise gun and the bonus to this fact is that you can pick it up for 300 flat!

I am concealing a P95 right now but you said it right. The SR9 looks like a dream to hide and shoot.

Have the P89 and will until I am gone from this earth then one of my grand kids will have it.

The P95 may have to be buried with me as it may be stuck to me when I die. :D

tk

sargents1

Single-Sixer
+1 vote for the P89. It is everything a defensive handgun should be. Reliable, reliable, reliable and accurate. I have the older version (p85mkII) and it is acceptably accurate. I can do about 6-8in at 25 yards for a full magazine. A friend of mine has a P89 that is slightly more accurate.

For the money you can't possibly go wrong. If the newer guns are more accurate then that is just one more item for the plus column.

I have shot both guns and when the P89 is compared to the SR9 it breaks down like this:

- P89 is Cheaper, more reliable/durable, proven, has cheaper magazines from more sources, and makes a better blunt instrument when you run out of ammo.

- The SR9 is lighter, slimmer, more comfortable and can mount flashlights and lasers and has adjustable sights (which is kind of nice) and once the aftermarket gets its act together there will be fixes for the triggers.

- Speaking of triggers, the triggers on both guns kind of suck when compared to my MKII. they are both heavy, but the p89's i have shot and handled have a smoother pull. Realistically for practical shooting it doesn't make a lot of difference. If you can hit a 10in paper plate at 25yards with every shot you are doing just fine. Both guns will do that with ease. So If this is to be your 'house gun' you just need to ask yourself how many 75ft (25yds) rooms you have in your house...none? me neither. Therefore anything that shoots under 10in at 25yds is fine.

- The p89 will take any kind of commercially produced 9mm ammo, including +P and +P+ loads, that you can shake a stick at and swallow it with Zero problems. I suppose the SR9 will do fine with high pressure loads but it doesnt have 20 years of history to support it.

- The P89 will cost you between 250-350$ depending on where you get it.
- The SR9 will be a tad more, maybe 350-450$.

Shop around and Get a gently used P89, spend 15$ on the Hogue grips, get a few magazines (by a "few" I mean at least 5) for it and wait for Ruger iron out the teething problems with the SR9, then go get the SR9...but for Godsakes dont get rid of the P89 because when the Zombies show up you will be thanking yourself for keeping the P89.

2fast4u":1h7wb6la said:
I did a search and nothing came up, but I'm stuck between these 2 guns
I love the feeling of the P89 with a hogue grip (my grandpa has one )
but i also like the way the SR9 feels

This is going to be my first gun purchases, and im definitely not an expert

if you guys had a choice what would you go with if you had to pick one or the other?

ive been noticing that the SR9's have been having some issues, but i haven't seen one person complain about a p89 besides its 2 heavy( which i think is being picky).

am i correct on the p89 being more reliable than a SR9?

thanks in advance
- 2fast4u

GaryT

Bearcat
revhigh said:
In my experience, the SR9 is more accurate than the P89, but the trigger is so bad that it's not worth considering.

REV[/quotte]

I don't know why people think the SR9's trigger is "so bad..." Mine is better than any Glock I've ever had (and I've had several), better than the M&P, and the more I shoot it, the better it gets. My SR9 shoots where I point it, is easy to carry, and a better choice for me than either of the others...

If I were to choose between the SR9 and the P89 (or P95) I'd take the SR9 hands down.

my uncle has the P89 and I just picked up the SR9 today.

Honestly it's all up to which feels better in your hands?

but i DO enjoy the 17 rnd mags for the SR9