P89 Magazine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

radio2

Bearcat
I have a 1992 P89 and a 2006 p89, The magazines old and new fit both guns and look the same except one is SS and the other is blued (old one)
Is there any differance in the magazines? Other than the floor plate?
I noticed on rugers web page it says for SN xxxxxx and up.
Thanks

sounds like both are the same latter day ones. Seems like the early 89s had a different mag but I don't know exactly when that was.

I've got a large amount of 9mm p series mags both ruger and after market and they come in all kinds of looks and styles.

Bulldog87

Bearcat
are there any after market mags to avoid? where's the best place to get p89 mags?

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Bulldog87":3nz9z1b8 said:
are there any after market mags to avoid? where's the best place to get p89 mags?

avoid ProMags like the plague. MecGar mags are good, and of course factory mags are the way to go. CDNN is going to be about the cheapest, but they charge a lot for shipping. Used ones show up pretty regularly on the trader forum here and I've seen them on Gunbroker. Expect to spend $25-$30 each.

Russ7777

Bearcat
Hi Radio,
If you find any after market p89 mags(15) that are less expensive than original parts, let me know. I just bought one from Ruger, and it came to $38 with shipping.
Thanks

bub

Single-Sixer
The mags for the older P89s came with a more elongated hole for the mag catch. IIRC, the top of the hole was rounded rather than the rectangular hole in the newer mags. Someone here posted some pics a few months back comparing the old mags to the new mags.

I have an older P89 (can't remember the serial number, I'm at work and the P89 is at home) that was made before the switch. However, it came new from the factory with the newer mags and all the newer mags I've tried work just fine in mine. I think it was forum member Coffeepot (who used to work for Ruger and, again IIRC, was one of the engineers who designed the P89) that said that, for the older P89s before the mag change, newer style mags will usually work 90%+ of the time in the older guns, but as always check your individual gun with new magazines. According to what I remember, if a mag works, it was good to go; if it didn't work, then the individual mag was incompatible with that particular gun.

For replacement mags, MecGar flush-fit 17rd mags have always worked VERY WELL for me, as have factory mags. The only aftermarket mags I've tried were ProMag; as ab4ka stated, avoid like the plague. Turned my stone-cold reliable P89 into a jam-a-matic.

Bub

radio2

Bearcat
Thanks all, The old and new mags work in both guns so I will just stick with the ruger brand

pisgah

Buckeye
When I traded for a P89 a few months back, the gun shop had one factory mag in stock, ordered years ago for someone who never came to get it. The gun I was rading for came with 2 mags, but when the shopkeeper offerred me the brand-new factory mag for $15, I jumped on it!

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
pisgah":3bjm7zvi said:
When I traded for a P89 a few months back, the gun shop had one factory mag in stock, ordered years ago for someone who never came to get it. The gun I was rading for came with 2 mags, but when the shopkeeper offerred me the brand-new factory mag for $15, I jumped on it!

it's always good to be in the right place at the right time :)

Latest posts