P89 In IDPA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Last weekend I used my P89 in our local IDPA match. Four of the seven scenarios were part of the IDPA-wide Postal Match, so eventually I'll have a wider pool for performance comparison.

The P89 did just fine. I used a Blade-Tech IWB holster, and a Wilderness Double Ugly dual magazine pouch to carry my reload magazines.

While my final score wasn't one of my best, I realize that a fundamental component is my relative lack of hammer and dry-fire time with the P89 specifically (I usually shoot a Glock or 1911 for IDPA/carry). The DA/SA trigger transition really wasn't an issue, especially since my P89 has an exceptionally smooth DA and a crisp SA triggerpull.

An area that I was unexpectedly impressed with the P89 in had to do with the inherent balance of the gun. There were several strings of fire that required both strong-hand-only and weak-hand-only shooting, and the P89 balanced and performed beautifully (and accurately) for me in those stages. The Uncle Mike's Craig Spegel-designed grips were an assist throughout as well.

While I don't see my P89 replacing my Glocks or 1911s as a primary IDPA or carry gun, it was fun and educational to me to verify its fundamental viability, and I strongly feel that if I would (or had to) more exclusively use the P89, that my scores would very rapidly be better.

Best, Jon

scuffler

Bearcat
I used to shoot IDPA but used my xd 9
The fool I am I sold my p89 to a good friend a while back.

mactex

Bearcat
I used my P89 at an IDPA match only had one complaint. I wanted larger sites. Even with the stock sites I scored in the middel of the pack and felt that wasn't bad for my first IDPA match!

Buoyboy

Bearcat
P94/CG100,

Like many I also used my P89 for my first 3 years of IDPA. Although I could manage the trigger and I replaced the sights, having to rotate the grip to release the magazine was my biggest complaint. When I rotated it back, I never seemed to have a good grip. With the G34, I can release the magazine w/o changing my grip and that is worth some time over the course of a match. If it wasn't for that push forward magazine release, I might still be shooting the P89.