P85 safety mech. failure and supposed repair

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hoss0013

Bearcat
So after 5-6 years of near flawless performance by my pet P85 which I've put a lot of time and money into making my primary and most reliable everyday carry sidearm, the safety 'broke.' So I pulled apart the all the relevant assemblies in the slide, and the bar that goes from the right safety lever to the left, had sheared off at its base. I set about to finish removing the left and it would not budge as the rest of the bar from the right lever was very happy where it was. I tried almost everything: proper vise techniques, appropriate escalation of force, heat, penetrating oil, and many many curse words. I was ready for the dremmel . . . but in a good faith effort I took it to my older, much more experienced gunsmith friend. After replicating all my previous efforts, he broke out the dremmel; the left safety lever did not come out until he had ground the remnant of the right safety lever bar all the way down to its purchase in the drum of the left lever. Ah well. So I talked to Ruger in AZ and after some debating about what could and could not be sent to me (I DO NOT WANT TO MAIL MY GUN AWAY FOR SOMETHING I CAN DO MYSELF! . . . ahem) I had all the replacement parts and a few preventative-maintenance parts sent. I got them and: the firing pin is of a different design as well as too short; the right safety lever has two, instead of one as the original does, of the 'drum' that internally seats into the slide; and the firing pin block spring was too short. So I sent them back along with the original parts for proper reference in hopes of getting the right parts sent back. I've called, emailed, and repeated both, but haven't heard from the yet as to if the correct parts will be sent to me. Does anyone understand why, (as I ordered the parts originally with the schematic parts list in front of me with the parts person on the phone) I got parts that don't fit?! Are they from a later P model that is supposed to be compatible with the P85? Or . . . . . ???? It's had the safety mod done some years ago, but still I'm confused. ANY insight would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks,
Hoss

Hoss0013

Bearcat
SO . . . Ruger graciously paid for the shipping to send my pistol in and see what the hell is going on. They say from the sound of it that the safety mod was never in fact done, that those parts are the original parts, even though I had already sent in the pistol some years ago for the recall and it is listed as having been fixed. Go figure.

Hoss0013

Bearcat
So I just thought I'd update this ridiculous tale. The P85 came back today, and the safety levers, the firing pin, and the firing pin block spring, are all the same as the orginal ones I pulled out of it originally. The reason I ended up sending this pistol in, again, is that I was told those parts are the pre-safety modification parts, and that they no longer have them available, as well as the correct safety mod parts needed to be installed as these parts aren't the correct parts. The pistol returned with those very same parts installed! So I have to ask, is this now considered fixed per the safety recall? What are the techs in AZ thinking? If in the future if these parts were to break again, would I not be able to get them, or would the parts that are considered P85MKII have to be installed, or would I have to send it back to the techs? I'm a little confused so if anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. I foresee in the future if this headache happens again, I'll have a very expensive paperweight because I'm not going to do this whole thing over again.

Hoss0013

Bearcat
So I've been bounced around to half-a-dozen people trying to get a refund for the parts I ordered that didn't match. The parts were returned before they insisted (and paid for) the return of the pistol. One lady said today, "well the pistol already had the safety retro-fit before" . . . "Yeah," I said, "that's what I was telling you, but the other lady in c.s. insisted." I wasn't going to pay $80 to ship it to them overnight and more $ for some fix that was supposedly already done, except that that's what they wanted. Now they question refunding my money for parts that didn't even fit, that I returned early on. Anyways, I could go on, but last I heard, "the check is in the mail." I certainly hope so.

onelikearock

Bearcat
I recently purchased a like new P85 that the owner stated he did not get the safety recall done. I have contacted Ruger and I am about to send the firearm to them.
This really make me wonder if I should have the recall done if they do not have the proper parts to replace.

:?: