P85 MKII Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I have a P85 MK II and have been trying to get it to group what I would consider 'acceptable', meaning ~4-5in at 25 yards. I am having some trouble getting it to do this. From a rest with a two-handed hold I am getting groups that range about 7-9in.

The thing is, when I stand up and shoot off hand (and relatively quickly too) I get the same groups or maybe even a little better.

7-9in rapid fire at 25yards I can deal with, but for some reason I cant seem to do much better off a bench.

I am conscious of my trigger pull and I work on keeping the gun steady as I follow thru. Just to check myself I will switch off to my MKII .22 and with that I can keep 'em all under 2.5in, often under 2in.

I have been shooting a lot of CCI Blazer Brass and some reloads that my uncle made probably ten years ago so I suppose it could be the ammo. I seem to remember that WWB was better when i was shooting that (it was cheaper).

Anyone have a similar experience?

Also, does anyone know of a good gunsmith that can improve on the trigger on this gun? Its got a long, heavy, spongy pull and I know this is at least part of the problem.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
sargents1, I would think that saying the P85 has some accuracy issues might be an understatement. I bought one almost as soon as they came available and shot the heck out of it. About 5 years back, I gave it to one of my nephews and it is still going strong.

.....but it was and is one of the most inaccurate pistols I have ever shot and I have shot other P85's and found none that I would consider even close to accurate. I do have a soft spot in my heart for it though.

revhigh

Hawkeye
sargents1":143r70t8 said:
Anyone have a similar experience?

It's a rare Ruger CF semi that has much better accuracy than that. The P90 is probably the only one. Unfortunately, in my experience, you'll need to buy a different brand if you want to see much better accuracy than that. Try a CZ or a Sig in 9MM ... all of a sudden you'll be able to shoot accurately again, at least that's what I found. My P89 was about like your P85, and my P91 was far worse, grouping like yours, but at 15 yards. Both of those guns lasted about a month in my collection. For the best in accuracy at a moderate price, look into a CZ75B variant.

REV

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
In the P89, Ruger revised the angle at which the barrel sits in the slide (the breach rises above the slide plane) for greater accuracy. My late-production (2007) P89 is a tack-driver-but most of them aren't noted for much better than 3" at 2w5 yards (which isn't bad, actually).

You might want to contact Ruger, and see if they'll take a look at it. You certainly should be able to get 3"-4" accuracy consistantly at 25 yards out of it.

Before sending it, however, you might want to have a friend who's a known excellent shot with a handgun try it...that might help identify if it's you or the gun.

Best, Jon

revhigh

Hawkeye
P94/GP100":l88hu0rz said:
You might want to contact Ruger, and see if they'll take a look at it. You certainly should be able to get 3"-4" accuracy consistantly at 25 yards out of it.

Highly doubtful .... more likely you'll get a $50 bill and a letter that states the gun 'functions as designed' .... and they'd be right.

REV

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I guess my best bet is to try a few different brands of ammo and hope one of them works better. (or trade it and buy a P90 or CZ75B)

thanks all for the input.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Well, the P90 is a 45, so if you want to change caliber but keep the same platform, that would work. If you want to stick with 9MM, it's tough to beat the 75B platform for ergonomics, reliabillity, and ESPECIALLY accuracy. To be totally honest, you need a different gun if you want improved accuracy. Different ammo won't help you.

REV

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
According to a previous post by Coffeepot in 2008, Ruger does (or did, when he was running the Ruger Customer Service Department at Prescott) have a fix for P85s which were shooting inaccurately-according to Coffeepot, the inaccuracy was caused by inadequate "pinch" at the barrel/muzzle interface, and Ruger does have a fix for it.

It certainly would be worth a call to discuss this vis-a-vis your gun's situation with them.

Best, Jon

mity2

Bearcat
I thought mine was accurate enough...
From 10yd, Federal 115gr FMJ

294mmqa.jpg

After first DA shot, which went off center, as you can see, rest were pretty good?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
mity2":2gqirhxc said:
Cheesewhiz":2gqirhxc said:
mity2, was that target shot from a rest?

Nope! I was standing, two hands hold, it was no rapid fire, but was brisk enough.

The best my old P85 would do at 50 feet was about a 3" to 4" group, your gun looks to be alot more accurate than that.

CODAVE

Bearcat
My P85MKII shoots well also but I had a P89 that did not
and my neighbor had one that wasn't impressive either.
Must be the luck of the draw.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":7iu14m3b said:
The best my old P85 would do at 50 feet was about a 3" to 4" group, your gun looks to be alot more accurate than that.

He's also a LOT closer than you were too, Cheese. 30 feet is VERY DIFFERENT than 50 feet for pistol marksmanship. Hugely different ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
CODAVE":3aczh93w said:
My P85MKII shoots well also but I had a P89 that did not and my neighbor had one that wasn't impressive either.
Must be the luck of the draw.

That, CODAVE, is the main issue with the accuracy issues when it comes to Ruger CF SA's. It's the exception when one has very good accuracy. I also had 2 dogs ... my P91 shot 8-10 inch groups at 50 feet ... Ruger's response ??? It functions as designed. LOL.

REV

Latest posts