P345r

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dwd

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have the P345r? Is it a good pistol? I ran across one at Buds and I think it is calling my name. I think I need to add it to my collection.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd pass unless you want a big blocky 45 with a heavy, long, gritty trigger. There are plenty of much sleeker plastic 45's with far better triggers. I know it's cheap, and if you're on a limited budget it's fine, but you can buy better DA/SA 45's. They also had very serious issues with the firing pin being damaged if the trigger was ever pulled without a mag in it. Google 'P345 click no bang'. I'd be especially wary if it's used.

REV

dwd

Single-Sixer
Yeah, "R". I take it that it is a compact version of the 345. There is no picture on Buds and I haven't found a picture of one online that shows the slide to see if the "R" is designated there.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I wouldn't buy something just because it's cheap ... And I know it's cheap, because I saw it when I looked it up. With the 'free' shipping, they're selling it for about $250. If that's your sole motivation ... That it's a cheap way into a 45 ... That's OK. They probably only gave the guy who traded it in $150-175 to sell it at that price, which as I've always said ... Is what the Pee guns go for near me. Good luck if you go with it ... And if you get the click no bang syndrome which was common with the 345's ... Ruger will probably fix it for free.

Picture below from Buds ...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411547996?sort=date

REV

I would pass on that and never look back.

Yes, the P345R meaning the railed version. They were offered with and without.

You pull the trigger on one of these, without the magazine in, you're tearing up the fire control components.

revhigh said:
... And if you get the click no bang syndrome which was common with the 345's ... Ruger will probably fix it for free.

Picture below from Buds ...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411547996?sort=date

REV

Ruger won't repair these anymore. The sweet girl I talked to on the phone did offer to replace it with a SR45, with very little cost on my end.

The SR45 has a much better trigger.

GKC

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Ruger won't repair these anymore. The sweet girl I talked to on the phone did offer to replace it with a SR45, with very little cost on my end.

I've owned both, and I much prefer the SR45 over the P345.

revhigh

Hawkeye
GKC said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

I've owned both, and I much prefer the SR45 over the P345.

Absolutely ! I'm not a fan of either but if given the option, it would DEFINITELY be the SR. Lots of people buy stuff just because it's cheap ... Cheap things are cheap for a reason.

REV

dwd

Single-Sixer
ahhhh the "r" means railed, that makes since. I read two places that it was a compact version of the 345. I had never seen a compact version of a 345. I wouldn't consider a 345 a compact, maybe more compact than a p90, maybe that's what they meant. I already have two 345's, not interested in a railed version of the same thing.
Have they ever come out with a compact sr45?

ABNRGR

Bearcat
I disagree. My Ruger P345R is totally reliable with any ammunition, a tack-driver, has an excellent trigger pull, and is very inexpensive and easy to take apart and reassemble. Your biggest problem lies in finding a holster.

Danger is no stranger to an airborne ranger.

toshtech

Bearcat
I have a P345R and love it. Has a decent trigger and eats ant ammo I cycle through it. The magazine safety was ill-conceived but is a snap to remove. Due to many many rounds I have had to replace my magazine springs, which are very cheap and of excellent quality from wolff gunsprings. Holsters aren't that difficult either. I have purchased a few Sig Sauer P220 holsters and they fit great. I did have to make a small mod to my fobus paddle holster because the P220 it was made for did not have a rail. Fits and locks like it was made for it.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I've had two and still have one of the used P345s with rail that have been flawless. Take off the rear sight, remove the magazine disconnect and there is nothing to damage. The DA pull is shorter than both my Beretta 92 Elite and 5904.

Lone Wolf McQuade

Single-Sixer
I have had my KP345PR for six years of flawless operation. Used to carry if a lot but did switch to a S&W model 60Pro. Just prefer a wheel gun that's the reason for the change.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
ABNRGR said:
I disagree. My Ruger P345R is totally reliable with any ammunition, a tack-driver, has an excellent trigger pull, and is very inexpensive and easy to take apart and reassemble. Your biggest problem lies in finding a holster.

Danger is no stranger to an airborne ranger.

Bingo. I did the rear sight trick to remove the "don't fire unless a magazine is in" tweak and it had relegated my 1911's to the back of the safe. A fine handgun without a doubt.

JTQ

Bearcat
I think they are pretty good pistols, but I avoid them since they are out of production and are no longer supported. I disagree with the "big blocky" comment. The P90 is certainly blocky, but the P345 is one of the sleekest full size .45 Auto pistols ever made. They are very 1911ish in the hand. The cam-block always seemed like a good recoil system and I'm surprised Ruger didn't use it in any of their more recent guns.

I've always liked this old Guns & Ammo video where they pour cement on the P345 http://www.gunsandammo.com/video/ruger-p-pistol/

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Basing on personal experience (not magazine-article ad copy) - There is a KP345R (Prescott-made) on the nightstand where we sleep. I have found no other lightweight pistol more reliable and accurate. It has a safety lever (my requirement) and a hammer (strikers are for cops and gangbangers). I have had a couple and kept one for repelling boarders, wilded dogs, and such. Top-shelf corrosion resistance with stainless slide and internals. My KP345R even cycles CCI shotshells reliably, important if its the gun on me when some rattlebug doesn't take a hint. Although I don't hang trendy appliances on my pistols, the rail is un-obtrusive and smooth to the fingers.

The gun is similar in package to a Colt Commander, yet lighter and dare I say more reliable right out of the box. I have no complaints, aside for my affinity for a high-viz front sight.

I would recommend a P345 to anyone serious about a plastic-framed gun, period. I believe it is one of Ruger's BEST results in a man-killing pistol design.

dwd

Single-Sixer
+1
mohavesam said:
Basing on personal experience (not magazine-article ad copy) - There is a KP345R (Prescott-made) on the nightstand where we sleep. I have found no other lightweight pistol more reliable and accurate. It has a safety lever (my requirement) and a hammer (strikers are for cops and gangbangers). I have had a couple and kept one for repelling boarders, wilded dogs, and such. Top-shelf corrosion resistance with stainless slide and internals. My KP345R even cycles CCI shotshells reliably, important if its the gun on me when some rattlebug doesn't take a hint. Although I don't hang trendy appliances on my pistols, the rail is un-obtrusive and smooth to the fingers.

The gun is similar in package to a Colt Commander, yet lighter and dare I say more reliable right out of the box. I have no complaints, aside for my affinity for a high-viz front sight.

I would recommend a P345 to anyone serious about a plastic-framed gun, period. I believe it is one of Ruger's BEST results in a man-killing pistol design.

Latest posts