p345 safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texasjim2

Bearcat
Hi guy's I,m new here and my name is jim I have a ruger p345 and a ?
when I have my safety on I can pull the trigger and it will drop the hammer most of the time. Is this common with this firearm I do realize that the firing pin is rotated into the frame preventing the gun from firing when this happens. I guess my ? is is this something that I need to be concerned about? thanks for any and all replies jim

slippingaway

Blackhawk
If your P345 is functioning correctly, it is impossible for the lever to be in the "safe" position and the hammer to be cocked. Engaging the safety should automatically de-cock the hammer. If your safety lever clicks into the safe position, and your hammer is still cocked, your safety IS NOT WORKING. You need to return that gun to Ruger ASAP for repairs.

Now, if somehow I've misunderstood the situation, please correct me.

texasjim2

Bearcat
when I put my pistol on safe It does drop the hammer, but with it on safe a double action trigger pull will most of the time drop the hammer as well. I know the firing pin is out of the way so it won't fire but the hammer will drop against the frame it didn't used to do this but started to gradually and now will cycle the hammer back and drop it most of the time with safety on jim

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
Mine does it too, if the safety is engaged I can pull the trigger and after a few seconds of holding the trigger down it will fall. not too worried about it though.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Ok, I see what you're saying now. I don't think mine will drop the hammer, but I've never sat and tried to force the trigger back with the safety on. I'd go check for sure, but I'm lazy and there are plenty of other replies above me.

texasjim2

Bearcat
Mine didn't do it at first but ridin my recliner and pulling on trigger with it on safe just to break it in it started doing it I never really applied much pressure on the trigger when it reached full travel but I guess it don't take much I have noticed if I apply a little sideways pressure on the hammer as I pull the trigger it doesn't do it as much. The tolerence between go and nogo must be pretty critical oh well not to worry thanks for the responses jim

tdyoung58

Bearcat
can't say I've ever tried that with mine, pulling the trigger with the safety on.

might have to try this, and a couple other things