P345 REAR SIGHT REMOVAL UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dbuffington1

Bearcat
The rear sight on my P345 would not come off. I soaked it with penetrate for a few days and this was no help at all. I started off with a small pistol kit hammer 3oz brass on one end hard plastic on the other. I bought some hardened plastic dowels on e-bay to strike the sight with the 3oz hammer first and it would not move at all. Yes I unscrewed the set screw. It was like it was bonded with two part epoxy or something. I got some advice from a fellow member on the forum and at that time I moved to a 8oz ballpeen and it still would not move. At one point I had leather wrapped around it in the vice hitting it pretty hard with the 8oz and it still would not budge. I stopped and called my fellow forum member and told him what I had tried.
We both decided I should call Ruger before something got damaged. I got ahold of someone in Tec-Service and had a good conversation with him. He had been with Ruger for 35 years and was well aware of all the P-Series guns. I told him what I was facing and what I had already tried to do. He told me he had seen a handful only of P-345's with this problem. At that time he asked me why I was taking the rear sight off. I told him I was replacing the rear sight with a aftermarket sight. I certainly was not taking the magazine safety out. ( RIGHT ) He was great and said even though the gun was almost twenty years old Ruger would still warranty this for me. He also paid for the freight. While I was on the phone with him I also asked him to check the firing pin for any damage from dry-fire. I just bought this gun from a really nice forum member. It was a beautiful brand new gun that maybe had twenty rounds thru it if that.
He asked me to write everything down that I wanted done and send it to Prescott Arizona for repairs it has been gone 8 days now. Not getting impatient at all.
Ruger has always had some of the best customer service that anyone could ask for.
To warranty a firearm that is almost twenty years old is unheard of. I take my hat off to them they are great. I just bought 3 new Rugers from fellow forum members in the last month. A P345 a P90DC and a P89X so I'am new New to the Ruger pistols. All are 10 out of a 10 and basically unfired guns.

I was lucky I did not damage the gun. But I knew when to stop ( ha-ha ). Grateful that Ruger will warranty all this for me and most of all thankful to own a Beautiful batch of Ruger P-Guns.
We all know the P guns were the best ever made.

DEAN

KIR

Sparks, NV
DEAN said: "We all know the P guns were the best ever made."

Well at least my KP345 sure seems to be. It is a tank! Just like a lot of people say so.
as for the sights, I had a set of MEPRO enlarged white dots installed on them as my tired olde eyes started diminishing. They helped immensely!

I bought a P345 from a buddy who was in a crunch to get his truck repaired. I shot the gun and was impressed. I'm not easy to impressed. It shot as well as my SIG P220 for a carry gun. I carried it for years due to the weight and not pulling my pants down. It did take some getting use to a slide safety but after a couple rounds through it l did get use to it. I ended swapping it out for a Springfield XD40 subcompact. The XD served me well due it's size and capacity. The P345 still goes to the range as it's a great shooter. Interesting fact; when I interviewed with Ruger in Prescott AZ, the one engineer asked me what my favorite Ruger gun was? I told him that would be difficult as I had a lot of Ruger product. He said to pick one. I said the P345 for a carry gun. He smiled and said that he was the principle engineer on it and they felt there was a lot of things they wanted to do to that gun but there bean counters wanted it pushed to the market.