P345 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Ammo: Remmeington 230gr FMJ
Range: 10 yards
1st eight rnds shot, shooting center low ( Real Low). It was was me flinching! :oops:

2nd mag of eight rnds, B.R.A.S.S. 10X Better, POA, POI :D

Next 16 rnds ( Two Mags ), Perfect again! I'm loving this :D

Next 16 rnds ( Two Mags ), Failure of the Slide to lock open after the last round ( Limp wrist? ) :oops: :roll:

Last two rnds of Rem: Failure of the slide to lock open after the last rnd :?

Ammo: PMC 230gr FMJ

Next 16 rnds ( Two Mags ) After the fourth shot, FTFeed and failure of the slide to lock open after the last round :shock: :?

Remaining 34 rnds of PMC, see above :evil:

Prior to the range, I fired 50 rounds of Rem and PMC each at a friends house just to get the feel of the P345 and have some fun, Not one problem at all.

The only thing I can think of is lubrication. When I bought the p345, I clean the heck out of it and I very lightly lubed the rails with Aeroshell 17 ( Mollybedenum disulfied grease ) It shot 100 rds just fine. I cleaned again and this time, I lubed the rails with a Dry teflon spray applied to a q-tip. Went to the Range, See above. When I got home, I disassembled the P345 and I found the Guide Rod and rails very sticky I'm going to try the grease again and see what happens.

What do you all think what might have happend?....................................

BTY: My Mini, P90 ( Has the grease ) GP100 and SBH all shot superbly! So it wasn't a wasted day at all! :D I just need to figger out if the P345 don't like that dry teflon crap..........................

leejack

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the report Chief!

Keep us posted; it may be lubrication/break in issues.

Let us know after you get her out again.

Good luck,

Lee

railroader

Single-Sixer
Make sure you don't ride your thumb on the slide stop. That will keep the slide from locking back after the last round. Mark

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Skalkaho Slim":2l7cfhma said:
I'm bettin' it was the lube Chief.

I have to live vicariously through you as I don't know when I'll be able to hit the range with my new 345. ;)

Me thinking too as the 1st 100 went off without a hitch....................................

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
I just finished cleaning my P345. That teflon lube was a real bugger to clean up, it was very sticky, I had a heck of a time cleaning it all off, nothing like the Aeroshell17 I used. It took me less time to clean my Mini! We'll see what happens when I launch another 100 rounds down range. I'm 99.9% sure that I'm not going to have a problem................................

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I use a spray on Moly Lube on my P345 wear points and have not had any problems with the slide not locking open. It has a little straw to precisely direct the spray, and a little goes a long way.

In about 600 rounds of firing, I had a couple of FT Feed on the last round.

Following a tip on the Ruger Forum, I made certain to clean my magazine internals and buffed the top of the magazine feed ramp. Since then, no problems with feed failure.

Regards,

MD

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
MD":3igz8b3d said:
I use a spray on Moly Lube on my P345 wear points and have not had any problems with the slide not locking open. It has a little straw to precisely direct the spray, and a little goes a long way.

In about 600 rounds of firing, I had a couple of FT Feed on the last round.

Following a tip on the Ruger Forum, I made certain to clean my magazine internals and buffed the top of the magazine feed ramp. Since then, no problems with feed failure.

Regards,

MD

Molly Lube is a lot different than PTFE Lube. Some of the old timer I talked to mentioned Lubriplate ( The White Stuff Grease ) as a good lube for Semi-Autos, any validity in that?...............................

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I like the Moly Lube I use, as it's also a dry lubricant and attracts no dust or grime.

MD

revhigh

Hawkeye
I lube very sparingly (except 1911's) and when I do, I use 5-30, same as goes in my cars. :D

REV

leejack

Single-Sixer
Thanks rev, my bottle of Outers is getting low.

I imagine that a qt of M1 would last a loooong time! :D

Lee

SmithMan

Bearcat
Chief_10Beers said:
Prior to the range, I fired 50 rounds of Rem and PMC each at a friends house just to get the feel of the P345 and have some fun, Not one problem at all.quote]

Hey Chief just wondering -did you hit the house? LOL :lol:
I am looking at the P345 myself - Glad to see your happy with it.
Thanks for the report.
469Shooter

leejack

Single-Sixer
When my friend "The Chief" shows up, all the houses in the neighborhood run for cover! :lol:

Lee :D

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Might be your gun.
I am leaning that way, I would doubt some Dri lube would cause any issues.
Now, some big globs of grease could, which is why I have pretty much eliminated grease from my cleaning kit.
I don't care what kind of grease it is, Aero, moly, Teflon, it ALL thickens and can slow a slide. I use grease super sparingly, which is way different than I used to.

I would clean it with brake cleaner, dry as a bone, put some mobil one on just the rails and try 100 rounds. No other lubricant at all. Just some mobil one or any medium weight synthetic OIL.
If it hiccups once, don't make an excuse, it's the gun, send it back.

leejack

Single-Sixer
gator, very interesting!

You're the second one that recommends Mobil1. The rev recommended that to me, just a week or so, ago.

I might have to pick up a quart.

Lee

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Mobil one is as good as it gets really.
I did a test of a lot of different lubes, weaponshield, CLP, Eezox,
all oils work just fine for guns. Nothing magical about any of them.
But the Mobil one is not too thick, not too thin, and has a very slow evaporation rate.
So any medium weight oil is fine, I just said Mobil one because for $7 a quart might as well get the best.
Stay away from the greases, I learned that the hard way.
I was killing my guns with kindness.