P345 or LCP Frames in Zero Weather

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hangfire

Bearcat
Has anyone pulled the trigger on their synthetic framed pistol in say +20 degrees F to below 0? If so how many rounds and was there any problems with the frames?

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I shot my P345 in roughly 15-20 degree weather at my parents' house in WI two winters ago I think. Shot about 50-75 rounds, and had some issues with failures to eject but that was from the slide lube. No issues with the frame at all.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I shot my P95 in 7 degree weather. Gun performed fine. My shivering self was all over the target but on the target.

I believe the plastic guns perform as well as any other in the cold. Shooters suffer more.

imho

tk

tdyoung58

Bearcat
Not a problem. Most people carry concealed and their body heat will keep it warmer anyways. Or it's coming out of a warmer vehicle or something.

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
I noticed no difference in reliability or funtion when I took my P345 out shooting a couple of days ago. Temp. was about mid 20's. The only problem I has was once I stopped hiking, I could only shoot about 2 magazines worth before fingers started to get numb.

Lone Wolf McQuade

Single-Sixer
Today 12-11-09. Shot my KP345 at my range this morning ,the temp was 24f and the wind chill was 9f. I only put 25 rounds down range, but no issues at all, other than very cold fingers.

bub

Single-Sixer
While it is not a Ruger, I have been out on a qualification course at about 0 degrees and ran quite a few rounds through my Glock 21. Never a problem. In fact, in extremely frigid weather, I find that the poly framed guns are easier to shoot than metal framed guns- the poly frame won't transmit that bone-numbing cold into your hand like a metal frame will. Shoot with confidence, your poly framed gun will hold up FAR longer than you will and at far colder temps.

Bub