p345 mag safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texasjim2

Bearcat
Ok guys Iv'e decided to clean the rear site on my p345 my ? is are the rear sites directional in the dovetail do you have to drift from right to left or does it matter I tried gently to drift my site to the right and I couldn't get it to budge. So what's the secret in moving it or am I just not using a big enough hammer so to speak. thanks jim

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
Did you loosen the set screw? My sight is loose in the dovetail once the set screw is loosened. Just finger pressure can move the sight. I don't remember if direction mattered when I "cleaned" the sights on my P345.

tdyoung58

Bearcat
I never felt the need to do that.... oh well

watch yourself some of the stuff underneath is spring tenisioned by the sight I think

glockmutt

Single-Sixer
When I drifted the rear sight from left to right on my P97 years ago I broke that small spring loaded pin off when it popped up in the screw hole. Ruger wouldn't send me the pin so they ended up getting the whole gun and they finished the night site install. When I did the same install on my P345 I went from Right to Left so the pin would not be damaged by the screw hole in the rear sight. As TD says they are under spring tension so be careful. It's part #10 on the exploded view in the owners manual.

markallen

Bearcat
+1 from Glockmutt. Loosen the set screw only enough to get the sight to move from left to right.
If you take the set screw out, the firing pin block spring will come up through the open hole, and it is not long enough when extended, to grab it and pull it all the way out. Effectively stopping the sight from moving in either direction.
If you go from right to left, you will have to fiddle with putting the firing pin block spring back in.
Left to right, remove the mag safety plunger and spring, without disturbing anything else.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Sorry I didn't pay attention to the fact that you took the screw clear out. That is a no no.

tk

texasjim2

Bearcat
Ok guy's just to clarify what I did. I tried just loosening the set screw at first but the site wouldn't budge so I then took it all the way out. Still no budge I am aware of the spring loaded parts under the rear site I just have never seen a sight this tite before. I don't want to screw anything up and have to send my gun back to ruger It is not really causing me a problem so I may just let well enough alone. I just don't want the first click no bang coming at a time when I need it to work 100% thanks for all your input jim

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I have had to really whack the site on my P95 to get it to move. I ended up using a steel punch to move it. After the first move it got easier.

My P89 will move by hand after loosening the screw.

tk

texasjim2

Bearcat
PS bye the way I have never dry fired this gun without a mag. installed. Can't say if or how many times it may have been before I bought it new. I really like this pistol and for me it shoots a lot better than I am able to hold or see anymore artritis in wrists and shoulders dosn't help had catarac surgery done on both eyes and that restored my eyesight to 20/20 modern medicine is sometimes wonderful or at least it was until somebody's president "not mine" passed this new program that is supposed to make the whole world better. jim

Latest posts