P345 jamming with handloads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mzimmers

Bearcat
I've got a P345 (first owner). I recently made up a batch of 200 grain lead SWC loads, and experience a really high level of jamming with them. I checked my seating die, and if anything, they were a bit shorter than spec. Neck was crimped to spec.

Has anyone else had such a problem with a P345? Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks.

mzimmers

Bearcat
It's been awhile since I've used them, but my recollection is that they were a bit problematic, too.

I did notice when loading these SWCs, that when seating them to the recommended depth of 1.225", the bullet was seated so deeply that the mouth of the brass was exposed a bit. I wonder if this might have had something to do with it.

I don't expect people to troubleshoot my handloads, but I was just curious as to whether any other P345 owners had ever experienced fussiness in their handloads.

revhigh

Hawkeye
mzimmers":2gp3sptc said:
I did notice the bullet was seated so deeply that the mouth of the brass was exposed a bit. I wonder if this might have had something to do with it.

That's too deep ... there should be about 1/32- 1/16 of the bullet's shoulder above the top of the brass.

BTW, I KNOW you're taper crimping the rounds ... what I meant is a specific and specialized die. It is called the Factory Taper Crimp Die ... not only does it taper crimp, it full length sizes the case as well. This will generally eliminate any jamming and failure to go into battery situations. Sometimes just seating the bullet can slightly bulge the case and cause difficult chambering. If you use one, you generally then only seat with your 3rd die, and taper crimp and full length re-size with the FTCD. Unless there's something wrong with your gun, your jamming and failure to go into battery problems will be over.

REV

k-oss

Bearcat
Some pistols simply don't like Semi-wadcutters. Simple as that. My P-97 falls into that catigory. Doesn't matter how you load them. Don't know, of course, if this is case with you but FYI. I believe the P345 came out next in line after the P97. Maybe they share some commonality with some critical dimensions.

railroader

Single-Sixer
1.250" to 1.255" max will run great with the 200swc. As for what revhigh said about a factory crimp they work. Loading 45s tend to make the case bulge just a hair and it will affect feeding. A factory crimp die resizes the finished case and gets the bulge out. I use a Lee and it works great. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=716704 Read the reviews here at midway. Mark

mzimmers

Bearcat
Thanks for the input, guys. Strange how the reloading manual would state a COL that is too short to feed reliably.

I ordered a die from Hornady today. I'll probably run the cartridges I made up through it when it gets here, and test in my 345 and my SW1911. I'll try to remember to report back.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Good luck mz ... let us know if it helped.

I've had several people tell me that their 1911 wouldn't run with LSWC rounds. I always put 2 or 3 mags of MY reloads through their guns with no issues. To be honest, I've never seen a 1911 that wouldn't run with MY reloads. I guess I have it perfected after 25 years or so LOL.

Looking at a LSWC round it seems like they would be difficult, but all my guns have always been fine with them. Sure ... there'll be the rare round that won't run OK, usually due to a defect in the case itself, but otherwise, they run just fine.

REV

tdyoung58

Bearcat
I like using Lee 4 die sets because the 4th one resizes the case again, sometimes a slight buldge can cause that when reloading and the forth die resizing it again prevents that.

Buldging isn't always easy to see if it's slight. I reload with 200g flat nose and haven't had a issue since I began using the Lee 4 die sets

mzimmers

Bearcat
OK, my Hornady taper crimp die came in the mail today. The directions for use are a bit unclear, though. Is the preferred method of use to allow this die to do *all* the crimping? Should I back out the body of my seater die until it no longer does much if any crimping?

And, for setting the taper crimp die, I assume I just move it until the diameter at the mouth of the case meets specifications (.473" apparently)?

Thanks, guys.

mzimmers

Bearcat
Update:

I spoke with Hornady; they suggested I run the crimp down to .470" (this surprised me, but I went ahead and did it).

It turns out the taper crimp die only touches a very small part of the case -- maybe at most 3/16" down from the mouth.

But...it works!

I shot 50 rounds through my P345 and my SW1911. Just one round in the P345 didn't feed right, and that seemed to be the fault of an improper ejection that got in the way.

In any event, much, MUCH better than before. Thanks to all who replied, and to revhigh for the suggestion on the die.