p345 hammer pin backing out?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
After a normal field stripping of my P345 for cleaning, I had a hard time getting my magazine to go back into the frame. I called Ruger, spoke with "Peggy", and she told me to check the hammer pin. Sure enough, it had backed out. She told me that cycling the slide without a magazine in place, causes this to happen in this model, and as long as I keep the mag in when cycling the gun, I wont have a problem. When I got the pin back in, the problem with the magazine was gone. The only trouble is you can't really cycle the slide with the mag in place, because it locks the slide back.

Anyone ever have this happen? Is this likely to happen when I'm firing the gun?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
bss, Often times "quirks" show up in various guns once they reach the public. Does that mean they are "bad" guns? Not necessarily. This is a quirk of the Ruger P-345 but not one that affects proper operation when you most need it! The "real" test of a firearm is when the public gets it and it is "tested" in all kinds of environments! A good "practice" is to have "dummy" cartridges for your favorite guns that you own and use most often. Then you can see the slide, extraction, ejection, feeding, etc. operate as it would with live ammo. As a gunsmith of many years, I must have over 100 different caliber dummy cartridges (multiples of) in my inventory. They have been one of my most "valuable" tools in gunsmithing over the years. They are "easy" to make from "live" ammo or you can get them through Brownell's.................................Dick :idea:

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Have had the same problem with my P95. Never with a mag in though. If you feel unusual resistance when you insert a mag, that probably means something isn't right. Never force it. Now that you no what to look for, good luck and happy shooting.