P triggers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I have a P89, and a P93. Supposed to be getting another p93.
The only striker Rugers I have had is
A few LCP's and I also have a Mark II. So I certainly am no Ruger expert.
I have a question on the triggers, especially the P guns. All of them
have very long trigger pulls. A lot of slack to take up, and then it finally reaches a point where some pressure is felt and the firing process begins.
I never shoot them Double action, because it's almost ridiculous.
But even in single action, on the 93 in particular, the slack is very long.
Maybe slack is not the proper gun terminology but I am sure y'all know what I mean.
The 93 has this huge amount of slack, pressue is felt, and then it fires with the trigger just about touching the back of the trigger guard.
Can Ruger adjust this?
Or just something I have to live with and train for this slack takeup?

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
gatorhugger":25fcufx1 said:
The 93 has this huge amount of slack, pressue is felt, and then it fires with the trigger just about touching the back of the trigger guard.

That's exactly how my P93 is. Funny thing is with a 19# hammer spring I shoot great groups.

427mach1

Blackhawk
Try this if you haven't already:

After the first shot, only release the trigger to the point at which it resets and the next shot will not have a long trigger pull. As you slowly release the trigger, you can feel the "click" as it resets. Stop as soon as you feel the click. You can practice this "dry" to see what it feels like. After a few range sessions it will become automatic. (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun!) While this is not a fix, it does make the second through tenth shots easier.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
427mach1":1gpriocb said:
Try this if you haven't already:

After the first shot, only release the trigger to the point at which it resets and the next shot will not have a long trigger pull. As you slowly release the trigger, you can feel the "click" as it resets. Stop as soon as you feel the click. You can practice this "dry" to see what it feels like. After a few range sessions it will become automatic. (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun!) While this is not a fix, it does make the second through tenth shots easier.

Yes, I have noticed it will work this way, I don't have to let the trigger go all the way forward to reset.
But that is another training issue. In the heat of adrenaline, I would like to not rely on a training exercise to get a decent trigger pull.
I was hoping there was a way to adjust the trigger so even if I let it go all the way forward there would not be so much slack to take up.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":8rdcj5wt said:
gatorhugger":8rdcj5wt said:

That's exactly how my P93 is. Funny thing is with a 19# hammer spring I shoot great groups.

What difference does this 19# hammer spring make exactly?

Mike J

Hunter
It just lightens the pull Gator. It doesn't change the length of pull on the DA or the amount of slack you have to take up SA.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
gatorhugger":1a3ttnzp said:

Still the same long pull but when you hit the end of the take-up it's a light, smooth pull to release. With the 19 spring it pulls 5.5 lbs on a gauge. Great to shoot at the range.

Pernal

Bearcat
@ArmedinAZ
That is DA pull @ 5.5 lbs.? Thats seems a lot lighter than factory. Do you have any problems with igniting the primers? I have no problems with my guns, but my Uncle Burt could sure use all the help he can get. He has had multiple strokes and has right side weaknes.

Thanks,
Russell Gary

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":1kft033d said:
gatorhugger":1kft033d said:

Still the same long pull but when you hit the end of the take-up it's a light, smooth pull to release. With the 19 spring it pulls 5.5 lbs on a gauge. Great to shoot at the range.

Just sent you a PM. I think the gun I got from Cattledawg had this hammer spring installed.
Double action is still hard and long, but in SA it seems to really make a difference and does seem about like a Glock, which would indeed be 5.5 to 6 pounds. My older stock p93 is definitely much harder, probably a couple of pounds heavier.
I only shoot em single anyway so this hammer spring seems like the ticket.

Mike J

Hunter
The more you shoot or dry fire them the smoother the trigger will get Gator. Ruger just doesn't do a lot of smoothing on the internal parts.

gtsting

Bearcat
I have both the P89 and a P95 and, yes, they do have long "take-up" travel in the triggers. A lot of practice has allowed be to get used to this unique P-series pistol characteristic.

The thing that I like so much about my P95 (Gen-II with stippled grip and Picatinny rail) is that the SHAPE of the trigger is much more comfortable (i.e. it is more curved) than the P89 (which has a flatter shape).

I wish that I could get one of the new P95 triggers for my P89!

Mike J

Hunter
IIRC there is a member here that did that modification gtsting. I think it was TruthNotRelative. If you could search his posts I seem to recall seeing instructions.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Anthony Williams":kuw7n6x0 said:
Good heavens man! Why go on torturing yourself? Just go out and by a 1911. :roll:

A.W.

Heh heh heh ...... some will never learn Anthony .... :D

REV

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
revhigh":1fhuq4a4 said:
Anthony Williams":1fhuq4a4 said:
Good heavens man! Why go on torturing yourself? Just go out and by a 1911. :roll:

A.W.

Heh heh heh ...... some will never learn Anthony .... :D

REV

Cuz I like em! Even with the "take up" the single action pull is mild. It has 16 shots and a p89 or p93 is more reliable than any 1911 ever made.
How's that for some smack talk? :p
But a bit true.
The "p's are killing machines my boys. They work and work and never hiccup.
Plus I got my p89 for $200, a P93 for $300, and another P93 for the ultra expensive $360.
That is 3 great guns for $860. Which is on the low end for one decent 1911.
Case made. Keep the 1911's, I'll stick with the P's.