P series differences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
New to the P series with both a P95 & P97. Would someone be so kind to educate me on the differences between the P89 & P345 vis a vis the 95 & 97? Actually does anyone know a link that gives a "toe to toe" comparison on all, or at least most of the P series? I tell you what has me really interested is why there is a "300" series within the P family.

I wanted to edit this to say I am VERY happy with the P95 but the P97, for whatever reason that I just can't put my finger on, just doesn't do it for me.

And one last edit to say I picked up the SS P95 on GB NIB for $325 shipped - I personally couldn't find a better deal.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I'd say looking at the exploded views of the different p-series pistols on Ruger's website would answer most of your questions as to the design differences. p345 has a bunch of BS saftey features like internal lock and magazine disconnect. Also the p345 has a different extractor design. Instead of the long "leaf spring" looking extractor it has a pivoting extractor with a coil spring providing tension. And the big difference between the p345 and the p89 is the 1911 style barrel link on the p89. To be honest with you I wasn't even aware that there was a p97. I had to look it up on wikipedia. I thought there was just a p90 and a p345 in .45 cal. Funny how they discontinued the p97, but not the p90. Yet kept the p95, but discontinued the p89. In my opinion the aluminum frame/stainless slide P series are beautiful guns.