p-series availability at local gun shops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wjtank

Bearcat
I live near a fairly large town (Augusta, GA) and don't see many p-series pistols available at local gun shops. The shops usually say they can order anything I want, but I'd like to see some in person to compare - especially the p345, p90, and p944. Is this common in other places, or is it just that Rugers aren't that popular around here, or what? Maybe I should wait until the next gun show comes to town and hope there will be some there? Maybe some of you know of a dealer in the Atlanta area that has a large selection.

Mike J

Hunter
They are around I run across them from time to time but I haven't seen them lately wjtank. Ed's in Stockbridge did have some used P-95's last time I was in there. Usually every gunshow I have been to there is at least one dealer there with a good selection of Ruger P-series.

Al James

Hunter
When I sold guns we sold every Ruger we stocked like crazy. Probably because all the clerks owned them and we NEVER had them come back with ussues. I love the P series pistols so I suggest that you find a dealer that carries them and buy one. Or all of the 3 models that you listed plus the P95. :wink:

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Your best bet may be to take in a Gun Show in Augusta, Atlanta or Columbia. Rugers don't hang around on the shelves as long as some brands. You won't be able to buy from SC dealers at Columbia but there are Georgia dealers at the SC Arms Collectors Show at the Jamil Shrine Temple that can handle any transfers. I'm a big fan of the P-90. They offer excellent reliability and accuracy for the money. None of the 1911's come close to equalling their value per dollar.
Best Regards,
ADP3

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
wjtank":28pb7vwr said:
... Is this common in other places, or is it just that Rugers aren't that popular around here, or what?
wjtank ... They're pretty common in the gun shops I frequent (SW Ohio). As I was looking at the SR9c yesterday at my favorite LGS, the Ruger case also had a good selection of P95s, P345s, P90s and even two P944s (in addition to the SR9s, SR9cs, LCPs, LCRs, a variety of MKIIIs and wheel guns). Looks like you need to move :lol:

427mach1

Blackhawk
Nick's Guns in Marietta GA had a pretty good selection when I was there a few months ago. I bought mine at Pannell's Firearms in Woodstock GA but they didn't have that big of a selection. There is a Bass Pro Shop near Macon, too. I haven't been to this store but I have been in the Birmingham AL and Jackson MS stores where they seemed to have a good selection. Look up gun shops on the internet and call several of them outside your local area. I'm like you; I want to see it and see it, hold it, and see how it feels in my hand before I buy or order one.

welder

Buckeye
See them regularly at my LGS. Can't remember if I ever saw him without several? I've done my best to keep the shelf from getting too heavy, but he just puts more out there when I buy one. :)

It's always that way, the gun you are looking for and interested in is the one they never seem to have.

Welcome to the forum... I grew up near you, just across the river. (I presume you are in Georgia)

there's a fairly new (I think) gun shop over in Modoc, your side of McCormick S.C. that seesm to have some nice stuff.... including a new P95 for $300... not bad even with the transfer fee to GA..

http://www.redbarnfirearms.com/library/inventory.pdf

wjtank

Bearcat
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Blume - yes, I am in GA. I was born in Greenville - your current location. Will definitely check out the place in Modoc - not far at all from where I live - maybe 25 miles.

If I didn't already own a P-89, I would be in the market for a P-95. The 89 is a great pistol. I know lots of folks complain about the bulkiness of the P-series pistols, but I have large hands, and they are a perfect fit for me (and my wallet).

Russ7777

Bearcat
pistolpete":3ip0gbju said:
I rarely see a p89 or p90. Not to many p944s either. P95s are the most common, followed by the p345. Every shop has an SR-9 though.

The p89 has been discontinued, so I am not sure you will see many of them in the gun shops anymore; at least new ones.

We've had a few as of late in the shops up here. I don't think they are going away anytime soon. And the last one I saw was in a high end shop and they were only asking $350 for it, which I thought was a pretty good price for them.

wjtank

Bearcat
I forgot to mention a funny, if not ridiculous, statement made to me by a local gun dealer recently. The only P-series model he had on hand was a P95, and he said he could get a P345 the next day if I wanted one. I asked him about the P944 and P90, and he said "well, just because it's on Ruger's website doesn't mean that they actually produce it and it's available." ???

I do understand that any retail store will push the inventory they have on hand, but to make a statement like that is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
The dealer is not bs'ing you. Manufacturers do not keep every model in production all the time. They keep their best selling models on a dedicated production line, the LCP for example, and rotate model production on other lines. They usually make a large enough run so that there is sufficient inventory built up. In the buying frenzy since the 2008 elections inventories of guns and ammunition have been depleted faster than in normal times. As a result some models are not available for varying periods of time.
Best Regards,
ADP3

Scott

Single-Sixer
so does anyone know how fast Ruger updates their website to show the models currently in production? Or are there other places to get the newest models that they're making right now?

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Scott,
They don't update the website to reflect what is currently in production. What you see in a catalog or on the website is what is currently offered and has not been discontinued. Sometimes discontinued models like the original Vaquero even make their way back into production as Ruger cleans up a batch of extra parts. Distributors like Davidson's, Ellet Brothers, Lipsey's and Bangers try to keep the current production models in stock. They often run out of inventory these days. Popular models, the LCP for one, are "allocated" by the distributors. This means that the distributor limits the number that are available for sale to small volume dealers and reserves the bulk for their biggest dealers.

Best Regards,
ADP3