P series alloy frame touch up?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
Howdy all! This is my first post in over a year. I had boycotted posting on here because of the censorship rules that were being exercised on my posts. Being a sassy pants I refused to post here but then I found myself lurking around reading all the post anyways. So I figured whats the point I guess.:?

Has anyone been successful touching up the gray colored alloy frames on the P series? I just picked up a KP91DAO off of GB and the Frame has several gouges to the finish. Before I go trying to match something to it has anyone attempted this job before? Thanks

Mike J

Hunter
I don't know about touching it up. Maybe just duracoat the whole frame? Anyway good to see you back Al

Al James

Hunter
hittman":2wvo817d said:
Welcome back. Maybe a call to Prescott would be in order?

Good thought! I remembered that Ruger offered some refinishing services but thought that I also remembered that they do not refinish P series frames due to the original process. True or not they may have a source for touchup. Thanks

Al James

Hunter
Heres a few pics! Picked this up on GB for way too much. But I had been after an example for a while so I paid. I'm surprised on how hard it was to find one even for sale. I would be curious to know how many were even made. Ideas?
002-2.jpg

KidsandP91014.jpg

P90

Single-Sixer
Al James":1c2z6oe5 said:
hittman":1c2z6oe5 said:
Welcome back. Maybe a call to Prescott would be in order?

Good thought! I remembered that Ruger offered some refinishing services but thought that I also remembered that they do not refinish P series frames due to the original process. True or not they may have a source for touchup. Thanks

If you call Ruger, please post what you find out here. I and maybe others, would be interested. Thanks and welcome back. :)

Bruce H.

Bearcat
I have used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to touch up scratches on some of my Ruger semi-auto frames and it matches perfectly.

revhigh

Hawkeye
You worried about that little mark on the bottom of the grip Al ?? That's called ...... character !

REV

Al James

Hunter
I know I'm real picky when it comes to my guns, cars, etc. Hopefully one day I will grow out of it and just relax about material stuff getting screwed up. The wounds on this gun are especially irritating because I purchased this gun on Gun Broker and the gouges on the butt were not pictured. It showed up dirty as all get out and scratched to bare aluminum on the frame in 4 different spots. And I paid way to much for it because the P91DAO was not the easiest to come by. :evil:

Al James

Hunter
Bruce H.":2ne6dhzt said:
I have used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to touch up scratches on some of my Ruger semi-auto frames and it matches perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not called Ruger yet. I want to order a few spare parts from them at the same time so I'm putting together a list.

airwin

Bearcat
Hi Al James, I can understand you for 100%! I´m picky too with all my "toys" I have, especially my guns. They was soo expensive and it was a lot of work for getting the money for it. Maybe therefore I use them very carefully, even my "workhorses" I use with care to some degree. If any gun of mine would have a scratch like yours "P", it would make me sleepless.
It´s a real shame with your gun. When buyng a gun (especially a Ruger) it is important to check it very carefully before buying, even when the gun is new in the box and unfired. In your case, I would sell the gun to a buyer who didn´t care about the scratches, maybe with a bit loss of money. Many shooters doesn´t care about scratches on a gun. You never will enjoy a repaired gun, and your eyes will look everytime to the repaired positions. And maybe a professional rapair will cost more as an other gun in good condition. After selling your gun, you could look for a better "P" model with patience. Not till then you will be stisfied. Just my opinion.

Latest posts