P series accurizing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I would suppose but don't know for sure if anyone makes one, but a fully adjustable rear sight might be your best bet.

Hired Gun

Bearcat
What kind of accuracy are you getting? I have found the P95 capable of very good accuracy as issued. Tell me about your rest.

Magnumite

Bearcat
This one is all over the target. I can shoot competently, but I get about a 8" group at 30 yards, standing unsupported. Vertical stringing to the left and 2" group (within that 8" group) at 1:30 It was worse, but I stoned off the casting seam on the guide rod lock up surface and helped a little.

My old P-85 MkII shoots much better than this pistol does.

I know it is the pistol, because it was shooting very high. Another rear sight stoned ot the correct height took care of that. I can pick up my 1911 and shoot 2-3" at the same distance with no problem.

I've been looking it over and have come up with a couple of ideas. I'll see if that works. Maybe I'll just call Ruger

Hired Gun

Bearcat
From a standing unsupported position to say you are competent is pretty modest to say 2-3" groups at 90 feet. I don't think I could do that with a rifle standing.

The guide rod will have very little influence on group size. Consistant barrel to slide lockup is the key to mechanical accuracy in an auto. Does the barrel rattle around when it's closed up? Is the end of the barrel resting in a different spot in the end of the slide after each shot? These are the things that will change the sight/slide to barrel relationship.

The P95's I have shot or inspected all fit tight and shot very well from a good leather 2 point rest arraingment. I don't mean the barrel fit tight but it firmly comes to rest in the 6:00 position in the end of the slide after each shot. I never measured the groups but didn't have much too trouble hitting my 10" 100 yard gong with WWB ammo.

Magnumite

Bearcat
This pistol is definitely not 10" at 100 yard accurate. Just the opposite. Not sure where the problem is, but I am working on it.

The guide rod seem would make the barrel sit a little crooked so that's why I stoned off the seem. It is the surface that holds the barrel up in lock up.

I noticed the barrel locks up more on the left rear of the barrel. It doesn't rattle, but I can get some small amount of movement from it. I'll look some more and see what I can come up with.

Thank you for the replys.