P. Harrell - Chambering Your Ammunition Multiple Times, Will It Damage The Ammunition? Maybe You Too?!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It does happen:

DSCN9182.jpeg

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
That's one reason I tend to stay away from near-max loads when I'm reloading. In addition, I often select propellants that will overflow the case, if an accidental double-charge occurs. Nothing wrong with having a little margin for error - Murphy's Law can show up any place & any time!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

eveled

Hunter
I knew to watch for it, but had no idea it could effect the pressure so drastically.

Are these commercially loaded rounds or reloads?
gramps
Factory loaded.... I don't reload....

That cartridge says Speer but not sure if it is a new Speer or it could be a reload from Georgia Arms... I just went and looked and I'm pretty sure it is a factory reload from Georgia Arms... but also I think this is from a chambering while firing in my short barreled rifle in 357 Sig and it does not like Hydro Shock / Hollow point ammo it seems... and I believe it is actually from a failure to feed and not from me re-chambering it over and over...

thepamster

Bearcat
I have not heard of this before. My self defense ammo is different than my range ammo so my ammo is changed multiple times a year.
I will however take a look at my ammo and see what I find.
Thanks for sharing.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
All revolvers are pistols, but not all pistols are revolvers.
Sorry, but you have it exactly wrong. A pistol is a handgun where the bullet is fired from the barrel. The term started way back in the 15th century when all handguns were muzzle loaded. It turns out that today's pistols are the semi-suto handguns, where the round is chambered into the barrel, and fired from there. Revolvers are NOT pistols at all because the bullet is fired from the cylinder, and not from the barrel. Both are handguns. The term is often missued, especially in the movies, mainly because the movie makers did not know about this, and like yourself, thought that they were the same thing, which is not the case at all.

hittman

Staff member

96/44

Blackhawk
Just carry a revolver.
I would be more worried about spring tension on long term loaded magazines.
Revolvers are subject to the opposite problem. Bullets can pull out of the case under repeated recoil, especially in light guns. When the bullet pulls out far enough it will protrude from the cylinder and lock the gun up.

Mike J

Hunter
The suggestion made about rotating ammunition if you eject a round from your carry gun is a good one. It keeps you from chambering the top 2 rounds in the magazine over & over. It is also a good idea to just shoot your carry ammunition & start fresh every once in a while. I never thought about this until I saw it posted about in the Semi-Auto subforum here but I have had it happen.

buckaroo

Banned
I would be more worried about spring tension on long term loaded magazines.

That's not the problem, the problem is loading and unloading the mags that wear the spring out. They found loaded mags from WW2 that still functioned.

Revolvers are subject to the opposite problem. Bullets can pull out of the case under repeated recoil, especially in light guns. When the bullet pulls out far enough it will protrude from the cylinder and lock the gun up.

You got it right and a far bigger a problem than set-back in a an auto-loader. Ruger use to even mention it in their revolver manuals. When I carried my LCR I shot 4 and checked the 5th on every new box of ammo.

Mike J

It is also a good idea to just shoot your carry ammunition & start fresh every once in a while.

I do it every single range session.

Last edited:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
This has been debated here for as long as I’ve been a member ….. it’s possible some have other opinions and not necessarily that they’re wrong…. :unsure:

pis·tol
[ˈpistl]

NOUN
  1. a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.
    synonyms:
    revolver · gun · handgun · side arm · automatic pistol · six-shooter · thirty-eight · derringer · Browning automatic · Colt · Webley · Luger
Again, sorry, but you can find any definition you are looking for that will satisfy your needs. If you talk to a real gun experts that KNOW the history of guns, you will see that the term 'pistol' has been misused so often, that most people cannot find or do not want to find its true meaning. I can find definitions online that say otherwise, as I explained to you All you are pointing out is that most people, and coloquiel usage have misused the term. Revolvers are not pistols.

Latest posts