+P ammo in 9mm P series pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alaskan

Bearcat
My stepdad has a Ruger P series 9mm pistol. It's probably 8 yrs old. It could be older. Is it ok to shoot Corbon 115 gr JHP's in +P through it?

revhigh

Hawkeye
No problem, the whole +P thing is really just a marketing gimmick. Unless a gun SPECIFICALLY says NO +P, go ahead. It's negligibly hotter anyway. Not even worth buying or considering IMO.

REV

Jeff H

Bearcat
No problem, the whole +P thing is really just a marketing gimmick. Unless a gun SPECIFICALLY says NO +P, go ahead. It's negligibly hotter anyway. Not even worth buying or considering IMO.

Not good advice IMHO. In the context of modern pistols, it is probably a true statement, but older guns will blow up or be damaged with +P ammo.

As far as the Ruger goes, it is very likely just fine, but if you are unsure, call Ruger and ask.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Jeff H":3ahe14ny said:
older guns will blow up or be damaged with +P ammo.

Doubtful .... care to give some examples of guns that wouldn't handle SAAMI 9MM +P loads ??? The 9mm is a 35,000 psi round, and the 9MM+P is a maximum 38,500 psi round, a 10% increase certainly would not 'blow up or damage' a properly functioning gun. Cartridges bearing the +P headstamp exceed normal 9mm Luger SAAMI standards (35,000 psi), but they do not exceed the +P standard (38.500 psi). For example, 9mm Luger +P rated cartridges fall in the 35,001 - 38,500 psi range. Most are actually around the 36,000 psi mark. Not a problem for any properly functioning weapon.

REV

aaronrb204

Bearcat
Yes some guns can go kaboom in a bad way with +P ammo. But generally speaking those are older--pre WW2--or will specifically state no +P ammo. If I had a WW1 era Luger I wouldn't shoot +P in it even though it might be ok. Also I think I have seen some sub-compact types that advise against it due to excessive wear and tear.

While not chambered in the caliber being discussed, S&W says that their pre-1957 revolvers are not rated for +P ammo.

toysoldier

Hunter
Maybe I have low testosterone levels, or some other disorder that makes me less of a "manly man", but I just can't figure out this fascination with +P ammo.
It could be that I have a bit of an obsession with doing things "by the book". I figure that the designers built a gun with a comfortable safety margin for its designated ammo. Using higher-pressure loads decreases that safety margin considerably, produces increased recoil and muzzle blast, and batters the gun---all for another 100-200 fps. I have to ask: if the gun/caliber combination doesn't produce the performance you seek, why not step up to a higher-performing caliber? What is the fascination with "pushing the envelope" and "wringing out every smidge of performance"? As Mr Spock would say, "That does not compute".

revhigh

Hawkeye
Absolutely agreed TS. The 'real' increases in +p ammo is negligible. Generally 100FPS or less. As I said, it's more of a marketing gimmick. If you need more knock down power, but a different caliber.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
+P ammo is pretty close to exactly what ammo the old Lugers were feeding back in 1914.

Any P series Ruger will feed it all day long and still be able to be handed down to your grand children as a working handgun.

imho

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
karter":143vyoc5 said:
Any P series Ruger will feed it all day long and still be able to be handed down to your grand children as a working handgun.

Correct !!! Most people don't realize that OLDER ammo was almost universally FAR HOTTER ammo than today's wussy ammo.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh":18wsnaos said:
karter":18wsnaos said:

Correct !!! Most people don't realize that OLDER ammo was almost universally FAR HOTTER ammo than today's wussy ammo.

REV

Buy some Seller-Bellot, accurate and real 9mm FMJ.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh":29bnba61 said:
Sorry Cheese, I don't buy factory ammo !

REV

Rev, I know that you reload, that was thrown out more for the general public, Seller-Bellot is the real deal as far as its loading goes.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz":14hohs49 said:
revhigh":14hohs49 said:
Sorry Cheese, I don't buy factory ammo !

REV

Rev, I know that you reload, that was thrown out more for the general public, Seller-Bellot is the real deal as far as its loading goes.

I agree with Cheese on the SB. I love that stuff. Nice and hot practice rounds. Too bad it's been backordered from cabelas for months.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Actually, I HAVE used the SB in 380, as I don't reload that yet, and it seemed to be perfectly good ammo.

I've found that the greatest difference between today's wussified ammo vs older 'real' ammo is noticed in the 357 caliber. If you ever get a hold of some 20 year old 357 ammo, hold onto that gun tight. It is brutal. That's why I love the full house 2400 357 loadings. HOT HOT HOT !!

REV

I really can't imagine a modern well made firearm blowing up from shooting +P ammo. And by modern, I mean anything in the last century... I grew up carrying a S&W standard 38 and my father always bought ammo loaded to 'minimum magnum standards'.

I know it's comparing Revolvers to Semi-autos... but no way you need to worry about a Ruger P series pistol and +P. I would think that in just about any low budget poorly made semi-auto the potential problem would be cracking the frame or slide, not the gun 'blowing up.'

But then, I'm not a gun smith and have never played one on TV or in the movies,

revhigh

Hawkeye
blume357":3lh0x744 said:
I really can't imagine a modern well made firearm blowing up from shooting +P ammo. And by modern, I mean anything in the last century...

Exactly blume, the difference in pressure is negligible ... more of a marketing tool to make you pay 50% more for an extra few tenths of a grain of powder per round, than real substance.

batmann

Single-Sixer
If memory serves, and at my age, that is possible to fail, I think Browning advises against +P loads in their older Hi-Powers. I am also under the impression that the NATO 9mm is hotter than what we call +P. I may be wrong there, but that comes to mind

revhigh

Hawkeye
NATO has nothing to do with SAAMI. NATO ammunition could be ANYTHING, you have no idea. That's why it would be semi-dangerous to use unknown NATO ammo in a questionable older gun.

Any BHP can handle 9MM+P with ease ... no sweat. Of course gun manufacturers will say not to use anything that could be a little more powerful than standard. THere would be no downside, kind of the way virtually ALL manufacturers say DO NOT USE RELOADED AMMUNITION in our guns. Everybody does it anyway, with no issues.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Most NATO ammo will go ++P compared to SAMMI specs.

It is all pressure and math is possibly able to distinguish that.

tk