P-85 MKII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Question for you folks.
I have only had the oppurtunity to shoot my like new used P-85 MKII on one occaision so far. My shots were grouped for the most part to the left and low 3-4 inches at 7 yards (im a beginner handgunner). I attribute this to my shooting skills more than the gun. But im wondering if there is any reason i would expect subpar accuracy from this older gun (assume for a minute, im a good shooter). I know its an old gun, and was later upgraded to the P-89 and then discontinued. Just wondering if the P-85s had a design flaw that made them inherently inaccurate. Thanks
Rick

alienbogey

Bearcat
"My shots were grouped for the most part to the left and low 3-4 inches at 7 yards (im a beginner handgunner)."

If you shot as described - "....grouped for the most part...left and low 3-4 inches at 7 yards..." - then your pistol's accuracy is fine and so is your shooting.

The point is that if the shots are all in a small group in the same place then it's not a question of accuracy, it's a question of adjusting the sights so that same small group is in the bullseye.

That's what it sounds like to me - you and your pistol are shooting fine, just adjust the sights so that the holes appear at your aiming point.

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Ok, thanks. That is what i thought. I noticed with an empty gun, when i aim and pull the trigger, as hard as i try, I am pulling the gun to the left ever so slightly. This is hard to stop even when i am concentrating on it. Thanks again.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
The only real problem, if you want to call it that, with the P85 that I have noticed is the trigger pull. Its pretty heavy and somewhat spongy to boot.

This is probably contributing to your shots going off the point of aim. Its a difficult gun to shoot tight groups with because of this. That being said I have also found that it doesnt group well at all with Blazer brass ammo, and is somewhat better with Winchester white box.

Spend some time dry-firing it to get a really good feel for the trigger and you will likely find that your shots go more to the point of aim. These guns have fixed sights so you have to knock them pretty hard to get the sights out of alignment.

If you do that and still find that your shots are off POA, have a friend try it to see if they replicate your results. If so then your sights are indeed off.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

RMHoward":3l6pphzy said:
Ok, thanks. That is what i thought. I noticed with an empty gun, when i aim and pull the trigger, as hard as i try, I am pulling the gun to the left ever so slightly. This is hard to stop even when i am concentrating on it. Thanks again.