Owner Comments on the PC9 Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I know... it's out of production.
Yeah, I know... do I really need a 9mm semi with a 16" barrel?
Yeah, I know... it doesn't look near as cool an a KT Tactical.

But If YOU have one, had one, or have shot one, I'de appreciate hearing your comments.

Thanks & StaySafe

retired

Bearcat
Have owned several, they are in demand and finally sold them all. Fun gun but trigger is lously----. I have had to work on the action of 2 of them. The trigger interupter gets bent or worn and gun will not fire. It is easy to fix when you find out how.

ruger1963

Bearcat
I have one that was manufactured in 2002. It has the large ghost ring sight. I pretty much echo what the others have said in that it is very reliable and well built. It is also more accurate than I thought it would be when I bought it.

I seldom shoot it though.

I bought it to compliment my P89, P94 and P95 pistols. All 4 guns use the same magazines which I think is cool. I plan on keeping it since they seem to be going up in value. I just wish I liked shooting it more but in its defense, I am more of a pistol shooter.

9x19

Hunter
They are good carbines.

Mine are accurate and reliable, the early model I have (marked Police Carbine) has a much better trigger than the later model.

QB

Single-Sixer
I have two of them (one marked Police Carbine and one marked Ruger Carbine). I bought the first one and liked it so much I purchased a second one while I could find one available at a decent price. I also have two P89s that use the same magazines which is a big plus for me.

My PC9s have been 100% reliable and I love shooting them.

HH

Bearcat
I'm a certified P.P. (Professional Plinker) so I love rifles like the Ruger PC. Like many Rugers it is over-engineered for strength, reliability, and durability so it is heavy for what it is. You'll notice the weight if you carry it around in the woods much. It is a lot of fun to shoot. I'm biased toward the GR receiver sight model because I grew up with that kind of sight system. We always called them peep sights. IMO the 2nd generation GR sight is better than the first. If by KT Tactical you mean the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 I have one of those too. The Ruger PC is superior in every way except price and weight. The SUB-2000 sight adjustment (front sight only) is pretty cheesy. I had to move mine so far off center to zero it that it ends up with a weird sight picture. It is also a lot of fun to shoot but the Ruger is much more of a "real" rifle.
HH

MountainGator":2wpo972o said:

I usually travel with one because I think the P95 is probably one of the best semiauto handguns ever made and the PC9 of course takes the same magazines as well as ammo. Just plane simpler. As for tactical... well I did do a few modifications:

DSCN9969.jpg

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
blume357":1pl9qmxa said:
MountainGator":1pl9qmxa said:

I usually travel with one because I think the P95 is probably one of the best semiauto handguns ever made and the PC9 of course takes the same magazines as well as ammo. Just plane simpler. As for tactical... well I did do a few modifications:

DSCN9969.jpg

Very Nice!!

Did you do it yourself? Are you a professional smith? Would you please give details of what was done to the rifle? Did yo do a trigger job or is this one of the older ones?

Well I recently acquired a P95 and absolutely "love it". I Like the idea of interchancable magazines.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I have a PC9 and a PC4GR and enjoy shooting both of them very much.When I go to the range its difficult to decide witch one to take so I most times end up taking both.Right now I do have a P94 9MM to match the PC9 and I am planing to buy a P94 .40 to match the PC4.I got a very good deal on both and plan on enjoying both of them for a long time. One suggestion is find somebody that has one and try it out, like hand guns you either like it or you don't. First time I shot mine I knew it was a keeper :D , dusterman

QB

Single-Sixer
I had considered purchasing a PC9 a year or so ago and decided to buy a Beretta CX4 since it used the same mags as some of my pistols. This year I ran across a PC9 and purchased it and after shooting it for the first time, just like Dusterman, I "knew it was a keeper".

I have since sold my CX4 (nice rifle but I just didn't shoot it much for some reason) and my Beretta pistols and picked up a second PC9 and a couple of P89s.

I am quite satisfied with all my Ruger firearms and am very impressed with Ruger's customer service (both warranty service and retail sales).

Pathetic as this may sound, since the PC9s aren't produced anymore I'd buy a third one if I could fine one at a decent price. Then I could perhaps make some modifications like MountainGator has done.

MountainGator -- I'd sure like to know what top rail & folding stock you have installed and what it took to install the items. Fantastic looking rifle.

welder

Buckeye
Just bought a NIB PC4 and have not fired it yet. My PC9 was flawless but I sold it. :( Looking to find a Ruger .40 pistol to go with the forty now. I sometimes wonder if Ruger will bring back the PC's. Seems they are popular everywhere. Maybe a limited run or something.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
QB":9az5u4nk said:
I had considered purchasing a PC9 a year or so ago and decided to buy a Beretta CX4 since it used the same mags as some of my pistols. This year I ran across a PC9 and purchased it and after shooting it for the first time, just like Dusterman, I "knew it was a keeper".

I have since sold my CX4 (nice rifle but I just didn't shoot it much for some reason) and my Beretta pistols and picked up a second PC9 and a couple of P89s.

I am quite satisfied with all my Ruger firearms and am very impressed with Ruger's customer service (both warranty service and retail sales).

Pathetic as this may sound, since the PC9s aren't produced anymore I'd buy a third one if I could fine one at a decent price. Then I could perhaps make some modifications like MountainGator has done.

MountainGator -- I'd sure like to know what top rail & folding stock you have installed and what it took to install the items. Fantastic looking rifle.
No, those are NOT my Mods, they are blume357's. I hope he comes back and gives us the info on everything that was done to his rifle.

I'm back.

I know the rifle doesn't need one, but I wish I could find a muzzle break / flash supressor for it.

as for the folding stock. It is a Choate folding stock for a Mossburg 500 shotgun. Choate will only work for the way I did it... not Butler Creek or Ramline... here is a little more info:

PC9finalfold.jpg

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I have both the PC9 & PC4. For comparison, I also have a Marlin Camp9, several KelTec SUB9s, a Keltec SUB40 & have owned a KelTec Sub2000 9mm.

The Rugers are by far & away the most heavily built. Rock solid. The KelTecs are all very nice guns but no where near as solid as the Ruger.

The Marlin, I must admit is the most accurate of the three brands. But the microgroove barrel does make a difference. :wink: It is also the prettiest of the bunch.

Both Rugers are pretty accurate & feel good in your hands. I actually prefer the PC4 as it's just a tad bit lighter (larger hole in the barrel) & therefore has a bit better balance. It also seems to have a little more reach.

You can not go wrong with a PC9. it won't be cheap but it WILL be worth it.