Overgunned?Nah!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Billyk338

Bearcat
Here's my big kill of the day. I wish I had pics of the buck from last month but oh well. Shot using my dad's Ruger M-77 .338 Winchester Magnum at 7:30 this morning at all of 30 yds.

My dad came and helped me with the skinning because it was so big! :roll: All in all a good morning spent with my father and his deer/anything rifle. :D

157.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
What do you use for moose ? :D I've used the .338 to kill several deer ! Makes for good practice. As long as we're having fun, right :D .

Congrats !

steveodtw

Blackhawk
I have a .450 Marlin I keep threatening to use to see if I can roll a doe uphill with. Haven't yet. Bought it for bear, drew the permit and then couldn't use it.

twriggen

Single-Sixer
steveodtw":1ja0wdr2 said:
I have a .450 Marlin I keep threatening to use to see if I can roll a doe uphill with.

A 45/70 with a factory loaded 300 grain hollow point will do the trick if shot in the chest. Wish I had a video camera. My uncle still tells the story almost 20 years later.

My brother in law gets a "fuzzy face" almost every year. While there may not be much meat on them they are by far the best tasting especially when shot out of a grain field.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I think that you shot the little sister of my deer this year...and I used a 45-70 on it. While the deer didn't roll up hill (the ground was flat), I didn't have to track it very far either.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
IMHO...These are the best deer to hunt. They taste so much better than the ones that people see as trophies.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Yep, a fresh kill and dad there to help makes for a great morning! Congrats! Just an aside, but the only moose my dad ever put down in it's tracks up in central BC was back in the 60's with a M70, .338 Win, 250 gr Hornady. Big bull was trotting, quartering away at 150 yds or so. First round blew off a ham sized chunk of hindquarter, a little more "forward allowance" and the second round went in the paunch and came out it's neck. SLAMDUNK! (Normally, a shot in the ribcage with his trusty old .270 would have a moose trot off 100 yds or so and lay down to die if not chased). The .338 is a big hammer and very accurate usually.... Just yarnin', Dennis

KTM

Single-Sixer
Looks like a tasty deer!

Hey that M77, .338 Win. Mag. looks just like one I have, I even have the cartridge holder on the stock. Mine has a different scope though. :)

Ruger_338-Mag_04.jpg

Billyk338

Bearcat
KTM":35ksnpk2 said:
Looks like a tasty deer!

Hey that M77, .338 Win. Mag. looks just like one I have, I even have the cartridge holder on the stock. Mine has a different scope though. :)

Ruger_338-Mag_04.jpg

Good looking setup! :wink: Glad you guys got a kick out of this.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Gotta love a 338 WM. I shot mine out. Its the only rifle I ever missed not having....Kills em DRT.

Latest posts