Outrageous claims

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TestEngineer

Bearcat
A friend sent me an inquiry yesterday about a gun he saw at a gun show in Tn. He took a picture of the gun & description card. AND the seller claimed; "Ruger had to shred the cylinders because of a lawsuit."

Simply ask "Do you have a letter from Ruger substantiating your claims?"

Then walk away muttering something like "What a BS'r!"

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Had a local dealer always have a booth at a show. Caught him one day telling a potential sale how rare and not giving a price break when I was walking by. I had same gun and told him I'd sell mine for .... a more realistic price. Loved the look on dealers face when mine sold.

As flatgate said, "Buy the gun, not the story." ;)
Ale,
I disagree in a way.
I understand all the BS artists out there, I have been set up next to a lot of them,;)
Every gun does have a story! The question is do you have the provenance or proof in print from a reliable source with you to back it up?
I always take my books & RENE Reference with me, any gun on my table I can prove what I tell you is fact, not BS.
The sellers & buyers that irk me are the one's who pull out their phones and do a picture or google search and think its gospel!

I may be the rare bird but I enjoy a good story, just be ready & able to back it up with provenance!
I believe Flatgate would have agreed also!
Terry

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Ale,
I disagree in a way.
I understand all the BS artists out there, I have been set up next to a lot of them,;)
Every gun does have a story! The question is do you have the provenance or proof in print from a reliable source with you to back it up?
I always take my books & RENE Reference with me, any gun on my table I can prove what I tell you is fact, not BS.
The sellers & buyers that irk me are the one's who pull out their phones and do a picture or google search and think its gospel!

I may be the rare bird but I enjoy a good story, just be ready & able to back it up with provenance!
I believe Flatgate would have agreed also!
Terry
I like a good story as well as the next person. It just does not make the firearm worth more to me.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
You'll just need to be able to translate gun show soeak to English. Here are a few examples.

Collectors item: one of 5 million

Patina: rust

Almost unobtainable: out of production for 2 weeks or more.

Honest use: Sounds like castenetts when shook.

Some holster wear: All finish gone and has patina.

I'm losing money on this deal: remind me to call the dealership and get the heated leather seats.

Great combat accuracy: stays on a silhouette target 50% of the time at 3 yards.

Has been customized: Bubba and a dremel tool got to it after 3 beers.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
You'll just need to be able to translate gun show soeak to English. Here are a few examples.

Collectors item: one of 5 million

Patina: rust

Almost unobtainable: out of production for 2 weeks or more.

Honest use: Sounds like castenetts when shook.

Some holster wear: All finish gone and has patina.

I'm losing money on this deal: remind me to call the dealership and get the heated leather seats.

Great combat accuracy: stays on a silhouette target 50% of the time at 3 yards.

Has been customized: Bubba and a dremel tool got to it after 3 beers.
LOL!! So very true! I would add, Shot very little ( 5,000 rds through it)

jgt

Blackhawk
I was at a gun show one time and a guy looking at my guns ask me why I didn't have a story about the gun I was showing him. I said I can make one up if you want. He said let's hear it. I said this gun was owned by a little ole preacher. He only shot it on Sundays. But at least he shot the hell out of it. He laughed and ended up buying the gun before he move on.

hittman

Staff member
One gun show seller I spoke with was shocked to discover that virtually EVERY Ruger made in 1976 was that elusive Bi-Centennial Edition.

Oh yeah, and that EVERY Service Six was a POLICE Service Six and had NOT necessarily been issued as a duty weapon.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
My favorite example of this was buying a 181 serial number Mini 14, used from a guy at Market Hall in Dallas. The first time I shot it the entire trigger group fell out in my hands. I took it back to his table at the next show and sold it back to him for $40 more than I paid for it.
He was there for years and I would just laugh at him every time I walked by his table. :cool:

kmoore

Buckeye
I had an uncle who took up buying and selling firearms without a FFL. When I visited he would show me some of his guns. He had BS stories to go a long with them. He handed me a .44 auto mag. if I am recalling right. He said it was used by an actor in a popular movie, one of the Death Wish ones. I asked if he had any proof, he handed me a letter from the gun maker. As I recall it said this is the same type of gun used by XX in the movie. He handed me a Python to check it's smooth as silk action. He said he used IBM machine parts in it to smooth it up. I told him it was just like my factory Python I had at home. I asked him to open it up, as I had opened mine at one point. He could not find the screw driver that fit.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
One day at the break table, a co-worker of mine announced that he had a brand new .357 revolver for sale.
Before he thought it out he said that it had never been fired and that it shoots good.
We all had a good laugh.