Outdated Technology

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just after we were married my wife had seen a pretty little phone at, I think JC Penny. Now being a poor, very poor, GI it was an extravagence but love and lust can move mountains. So for that Christmas I got her that phone. Today it still sits on her dresser. It was our power failure phone for years. Today cell phones have supplanted hardwared phones so it's just a decoration and maybe a reminder of a time when we had very little money but owned the world.

Those old crank telephones also had a nefarious use. Look up "Tucker Telephone" One lead was wrapped around the big toe and the other one wrapped around the dingdong and sacajawea... Crank that bad boy up and you would confess to anything. The line "You got a phone call" would make you cry before you even got hooked up. A long distance call was reserved for special occasions. You might not survive one of those...

Heck, yesterday I had a nerve conduction test that was esentially the same thing. The good thing is they were testing my hands for carpal tunnel. Still, when he hit that button your whole body jerks.

eveled

Hawkeye
@Jeepnik That is a fun test. I had a 30 second delay on some of mine.

Curious did the technician mention anything about which hand was dominant?

At the end of mine he had a perplexed look. He said. That's weird it always tells me which hand is dominant yours doesn't.

I took that as medical proof I'm ambidextrous.

@Jeepnik That is a fun test. I had a 30 second delay on some of mine.

Curious did the technician mention anything about which hand was dominant?

At the end of mine he had a perplexed look. He said. That's weird it always tells me which hand is dominant yours doesn't.

I took that as medical proof I'm ambidextrous.
Didn't mention dominance but it's my left hand (biologically dominant hand) that has the severe carpal tunnel. My right hand, the one a teacher beat me (literally) into using to write with is no where near as bad.

Yep this means surgery of my shooting hand. More fool those that think me at a disadvantage. Maybe I should be glad she used that yardstick so freely. Nah!

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I don't remember it, but my great-grandfather had a Delco system at their place prior to TVA electricity coming in. He and my mamaw ran a little tourist camp and pop also worked for Bell telephone company, installing some of the technology pictured in this thread.
We had rotary dial phones when I was a kid. One phone per household, located usually in the kitchen or central hallway. Some of our fancy neighbors had those high tech long cords that would allow you to go sit in a comfortable chair while talking. Of course you still had to be at the phone itself to dial it. Ours had a cord about two feet long which forced you to stand there by the phone for the duration of your conversation (which tended to be short and to the point).

I saw this on Instagram recently. I remember when 3.5" floppy disks were "high tech". I remember getting new programs where it took a dozen or more disks to hold all the data. Wait for one to load, insert the next, repeat, repeat...
20230821_083828.jpg

Armybrat

Buckeye
Didn't mention dominance but it's my left hand (biologically dominant hand) that has the severe carpal tunnel. My right hand, the one a teacher beat me (literally) into using to write with is no where near as bad.

Yep this means surgery of my shooting hand. More fool those that think me at a disadvantage. Maybe I should be glad she used that yardstick so freely. Nah!
The nun in parochial school did a right proper job teaching me what's what.
Her way or the highway across the Styx.

BA9A03B7-F3C6-43E5-B33E-CBD326BB7CA0.gif

In 1981 I was in 5th grade. My public school teacher taped an outline on my desk with the "correct" angle my paper should be for writing properly.

I'm left handed and so of course her angle was wrong. My handwriting has never been anything close to legible because of this.

And that woman is, I believe, still teaching or just freshly retired. Wish I could tell her a thing or two.

caryc

Hawkeye
I have a ruler with a furniture company advertisement on it. Their phone number also has some letters. I never knew how that worked.

The ruler is still accurate however.
Our first phone number was 2166. Then later they added a prefix to that which was CY5 which stood for Cypress 5. So our phone number ended up being 295-2166.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have a ruler with a furniture company advertisement on it. Their phone number also has some letters. I never knew how that worked.

The ruler is still accurate however.
It was just a memory aid. Each number had 3 or 4 letters that went with it. (The same way we used to text.).

So my town was TWin brook
T =8 W=9.

The phone number was TWin brook 9-1234
Or. 899-1234

Twin Brook is not the town's actual name. But there is still a Twin Brook insurance company there. I doubt anyone knows how it was named.

Last edited:

caryc

Hawkeye
It was just a memory aid. Each number had 3 or 4 letters that went with it. (The same way we used to text.).

T =8 W=9.

Or. 899-1234
What do you mean "had"? Look at any phone keypad, even a cell phone, the numbers 2-9 all have three letters on them.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
They bring nightcrawlers to the surface too. Many years ago I was connecting a phone up for a friend in his garage. While I was handling the wires someone called him. I could hear the phone in the house ring and I was doing the electric boogalo as the current jolted the crap out of me. It lit me up like a neon sign!!
Normal voltage is 48 volts DC. Ringing voltage depending on the office was 110 ac.
We had to get a callback from dispatch to prove the phone was working before we left the job site. I was soaking wet from the rain and standing in a puddle when I got a callback one day. My wet beard was touching the metal transmitter in my test set. It lit me up like a Christmas tree. I could taste copper for two days. 🫥

View attachment 28125

View attachment 28126

View attachment 28127

New technology of the day usually ends up hanging on the wall as a decoration. Dad found this phone over 60 years ago in an old building that had been forgotten. There were several in a pile on the floor that were ready to be thrown away. He picked this one up and a few extra parts and brought it back to life as a wall decoration. Dad has been gone over 30 years now. The phone still hangs on the wall in our house now.
I bought this one at Sears in 1962 for $15.00 and refinished it. The magnito is still in it.
They had a bunch of the in a pile on the floor.????

1692630692336.png

Well, not much is working in that town these days - its population has dropped to 139.
After 1920, Grandpa went into the auto repair business and operated this garage until retiring in 1958.
Grandma ran a small cafe in the left front corner of the garage.
Note the old hand pump gas pump.
First Photo taken about 1950.
Second photo 1940 when my dad was shipped out to Fort Richardson, AlaskaView attachment 28152View attachment 28153.
He would not see his parents until late 1943 when he returned Stateside after participating in the Aleutian Campaign.
Looks like a Willys Overland in the first photo.
Was your Dad an Infantry Captain in 1940?????? The Aleutians was a horrible place to be.

T =8 W=9.

Or. 899-1234
Here is a picture of my ruler: I didn't know that about the letters, thanks! I thought you had to talk to an operator.

IMG_5418.jpeg

When the letters were used with the phone number it also indicated the location in a big city the number was located.
When the letters went away they just used the same numbers the letters indicated.
Remember when you could get a persons number and address from a phone book. I don't have a clue how you get one now with cell phones. Wifie's cell phone even has a VA area code.

Here is a picture of my ruler: I didn't know that about the letters, thanks! I thought you had to talk to an operator.

View attachment 28208
JE = 6, 3 One of the things that bothers me is people that give a telphone number as XXX-XXX"O". If you dial an "O" it is a "6" not "Zero:", which is what the intent was, though improperly stated.