out of round bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3ddiver

Bearcat
We are casting our own bullets and have noticed that some bullets after they are loaded do not drop into our test gauge. The bullets are out of round for some reason, we are not resizing them because they were the proper size. We are going to buy a resizer now but what could be causing them to get out of round? Is the mold too hot and warping? I think we will buy a lee press and resizing kit, any opinions on this setup. Thanks

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Have you examined the surfaces of the mold VERY carefully (magnifying glass, perhaps?)

I had a similar experience when I got a bit of lead "splash" flattened into one of the vent lines (those little "scratches") on one mold face. It was only enough to make the mold line a bit more visible than usual, but that was enough to make the bullets out of round.

A tiny burr would do the same. Those faces have to meet up dead nuts on to produce "perfect" bullets.

Rick C

DGW1949

Hunter
Yep.... if you see a prominent mold line, it's either past time to clean the mold....or if it IS clean, look for a new one....or if it IS new, send that one back for a refund.

DGW

3ddiver

Bearcat
I have not looked with a magnifying glass but there are definate lines in the bullets. The mold is new, maybe I should contact Lee about it. Thanks

Rex Driver

Bearcat
I am a big believer in Lee Molds, however, a bad one does on occasion slip through. I have 358 molds in 105 SWC, 125 RNFP and 170 RNFP and all work well except for the 125 RNFP and that one throws the bullets out somewhat off center and when I size them on my RCBS sizer they will shave lead on one side. I am in the midst of getting another one in double cavity because I think I might have ruined the mold by allowing it to sit on top of the furnace all night with it left on by mistake.

clevor362

Bearcat
I probably have at least 60 bullet moulds if not more. I don't recall a single one that casts perfectly round ones. As I can shoot 5 shot 2" groups at 200 yards with good conditions thru my favorite 1903 and have shot a lot of MOA groups at 300 yards with my Sharps rifles I guess I'm too old to get worked up over it. Usually my cast bullets will measure the largest from parting line to parting line. I size them and shoot 'em. If the bullet is just the right size for a particulat application them I wind up just lubing it in the sizing die. I'd worry more about hardness and weight consistancy. Just me.

DGW1949

Hunter
clevor362":2uzod4m8 said:
I probably have at least 60 bullet moulds if not more. I don't recall a single one that casts perfectly round ones. As I can shoot 5 shot 2" groups at 200 yards with good conditions thru my favorite 1903 and have shot a lot of MOA groups at 300 yards with my Sharps rifles I guess I'm too old to get worked up over it. Usually my cast bullets will measure the largest from parting line to parting line. I size them and shoot 'em. If the bullet is just the right size for a particulat application them I wind up just lubing it in the sizing die. I'd worry more about hardness and weight consistancy. Just me.

I get your point.
And yeah, weight (and size) consistancy are important.

Me thinks that the problem at hand though....is that the OP has bullets dropping from his mold which are obviously bad. It's been several years since I casted my own bullets.... but back when I did, the obviously bad ones went back into the pot.

I've been known to give away a mold that wouldn't "do" to suit me.....and I have a rather short list of bullet-vendors that I'll buy from, on account of most commercialy cast bullets don't suit me neither.

I'm reckon that I'm too anal about such things....but that's just me.

No offense meant to anyone.

DGW