OT:US Firearms (USFA) revolvers. Looking for owner opinions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Coyote,
That was a great post on the USFA forum. I forgot I'm a member and haven't been there for awhile. I posted about the hammer side chaffing and below as well. Hope it's helpful.

Re: chaffed hammer sides:

There are several standard things I do to any brand single action I buy, new or used. I take 'em apart as soon as I get home. Besides the usual deburring, cleaning, polishing, trigger pull tuning, spring changes if needed, etc., I do at least two more critical things:

1.) Polish both sides of the hammer channel with 2000 grit paper and a small flat steel sanding block. If there's obvious machining burrs on the edges, those are removed 1st. Then touch up with Brownell's Oxpho bluing creme, the best cold blue on the market in my experience. If the hammer sides are not case colored I use the 2000 paper on them as well to take out the course sanding marks. Those two things usually eliminate all hammer contact/chaffing. If it doesn't, so be it, it's honest wear. But I gave it my best shot.

2.) Polish the cylinder bolt head that sticks thru the frame and contacts the cylinder surface/notches. Invariably it has tool marks on its surface and knife-like edges that cut thru the cylinder bluing like a file! Even with lighter spring tension. 1st the 2000 paper and then a felt buffing wheel in a dremel tool with Stainless steel white rouge. Of course if the bolt is not tracking down the center of the approach to the cylinder notch, now is the time for slight reshaping. Eventually the blue will still wear but no need to do it the 1st day or take metal with it!

One other problem I've had to correct on new Ruger single actions: when the loading gate is swung open it contacts the frame surface down close to the pivot point. Current production comes with a rough cast surface on the loading gate at the point of contact with the frame. After two or three openings, there is a white spot on the frame that stands out like a turd in the punch bowl where that rough cast surface has peened right thru the bluing and actually pock marked the frame surface.

You can't keep them from showing wear but they don't need to wear themselves out.

coyote

Single-Sixer
thnx for the nice comment about my thread.

great post in return hondo. thnx for the advice.

i wish i had known to "polish the cylinder bolt head" when i first got my Turnbull Cowboy Classic. that sharp & mis-shaped bolt just scratched and beat the hell out of the cylinder notches...

and welcome back to USFA forum too.

coyote

Single-Sixer
ChuckS1 said:

...I didn't mean for my comment to be taken as a slight on USFA. I'm not the original owner and I bought the gun from an older gentleman NIB. $50 plus shipping to USFA is a pretty fair deal, given that my local gunsmith charges almost twice that per hour. Given that USFA is a "for profit" operation, I can't imagine USFA absorbing this in its overhead. However, I think it'd be worth it since the gun shoots so well. I think a few tweaks may be in order with my handloads, so I'll try those before I send it back.

BTW, I used the "Contact Us" link on their web site to ask the question about adjusting the sight late on a Sunday afternoon and, lo and behold, I got a reply around 7 PM from Doug Donnelly, President of USFA, putting me in touch with Gary Granger. That was a pleasant surprise, if nothing else.

hey ChuckS1, glad you found your USFA experiences as nice as i did. and yes, gary is the go-to man there.

and no slight was ever taken. :)

(in fact, i felt the need to qualify what happened to me because i originally gave the wrong impression that USFA would always cover shipping/repairs at no cost. thanks for allowing me that additional explanation.)

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have a couple of the guns with the old "black powder frame" and I do not care for them too much. It is a lot more trouble to get the cylinder pin in and out with the screw versus the pin very quickly.Especially on the Uberti as the pin goes way back to make a safety to block the hammer.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Olsherm said:
I have a couple of the guns with the old "black powder frame" and I do not care for them too much. It is a lot more trouble to get the cylinder pin in and out with the screw versus the pin very quickly.Especially on the Uberti as the pin goes way back to make a safety to block the hammer.

I agree, I bought my last black powder frame I'll ever have.

The first thing I do on Uberti cyl pins is cut the back end off to make them standard length.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I have two blackpowder frame SAA replicas and won't buy another one. Don't care for the basepin retention or the "pinched frame" sights.

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
I have a USFA Single Action and it is wonderfully finished and assembled. It is a dual cylinder .45 Colt/.45 ACP. The throats in both cylinders measure .452" and it is a tack driver with the .45 ACP cylinder, even with the long throat due to the length of the cylinder.
There is a very recent post on the CAS City/USFA section Forum that USFA is in the process of "retooling" and hasn't shipped any guns in months. I hold out hope that they are able to ride out the bad economy and don't fold up shop. I would order another.

gak

Buckeye
Love my Rodeo in .44 Sp I lucked into finding a few years ago NOS at Trade Creek (fine boys there). Had it antiqued and tuned within a milli-ounce of its life - snick snick. It's a pretty fine piece - nothing like it. I keep hoping they'd build us a gen-u-wine American made, no safety "Win" 92. Since they're not making revolvers now, I'd guess that's maybe a bit much to hope for? :)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That would be one fine '92! They don't seem to be bashful about small runs of classic firearms. I sure appreciate my three USFAs: two 44s, one of them 44-40 convertible and one 45; all short barrels with CCH frames and hammers.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I would get in line for a USFA 1892. However, I did get to handle a new Miroku Winchester reworked by Doug Turnbull and that was mighty fine! He removes the tang safety and does a half cock modification.

USFA has be worried and I really hope they don't close their doors.

gak

Buckeye
CraigC said:
I would get in line for a USFA 1892. However, I did get to handle a new Miroku Winchester reworked by Doug Turnbull and that was mighty fine! He removes the tang safety and does a half cock modification.

USFA has be worried and I really hope they don't close their doors.

I would certainly accept a Turnbull 92 also :) though a USFA, if not cheap, would likely be considerably less!
+1 sure hope they can hold it together. On their website I tried (on my mobile) clicking on an apparently empty/older link to--then searching--Double Eagle and got nothing. All their "news" and "new products" or some such seems to be old news as well, perhaps a sign of their times...hopefully not.

Marlan1

Bearcat
I have several. Starting with a 32WCF/327Mag convertible, 45 Colt Single Action, two more single actions in 38WCF and 44 Special, a Rodeo II in 45 Colt, a 357 Mag Shooting Master, and a 12/22. Very well made six guns. Shoot as well as any with fixed sights and my old eyes. If one wants a finely finished/made single action, USFA is the way to go. I have one Colt 3rd generation in 44 WCF and the finish does not compare to the USFA single action.
Are you interested in selling any of the usfa's?