OT-Problem with Cimarron Firearms Co.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
I had a thunderer in 44 special that was about 2 years old. The front sight blade fell off it when i was shooting it one day. I boxed it up and sent it back and figured id get it returned fixed in a couple weeks. They contacted me about a month later and said if if wanted it fixed it would cost me a 150 bucks. It was obvious looking at the sight and grove that they got chincy with the silver solder and thats why it fell off. I explained that to the guy and got nowhere. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he was just plain rude. told me to either give him my credit card info or he was boxing the gun up and returning it as is. I paid to have it fixed as i allready had shipping money into it and didnt want to pay to ship it again. I got the gun back and the next day sold it and will never own one of there products again. No need to buy from a company that doesnt stand behind there product where there are so many who do.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I just purchased a Lightning 3.5" in .38 special, and it is not quite as accurate as I hoped it would be, but I've only put 100 rds downrange. I'm going to give it some more time before I do some work on it.

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Similar experience. New Cimarron model p and the hammer half cock notch broke because of a metal bur in the frame that it was catching on. Contacted them and they stated that they no longer handled ASM pistols and that I'd have to find an ASM parts dealer to get a new hammer. They wouldn't even look at the gun to fix the issue.

I won't sell the gun, as it's plain darn scary accurate, but it's the last Cimarron I'll ever buy.

Dan

w5lx

Single-Sixer
I looked at the Cimarrons at Cabela's a while back and even got their catalog. They sure were nice looking guns and appeared to be well finished. Then I did some research on several of the single-action forums and read about the bad experiences owners were having with the company and how they failed to stand behind their guns. There are just too many stories out there about their guns that don't shoot to point-of-aim, springs and parts that break on nearly-new guns, and folks who are unable to get any satisfaction from the company. So I decided to stick with Ruger and USFA and companies that normally give pretty good service. Please note that I don't have any first hand experience with Cimarrons.....I just decided that I don't want any.

DGW1949

Hunter
Just some thoughts on this 2 year old thread;

An ASM aint a Uberti.
Cimarron quit marketing ASM-made guns years ago.
As I recall, American Western Arms went out of buisness largely on account of issues with ASM.
At one time, Uberti made a very good copy of the Colt SAA design. In fact, I've gotten much better service out of my Uberti's than I did with my 3rd-Gen Colts. Since being bought out by Berreta though, maybe they're not so good. Or maybe I've just been lucky.
Wolff makes an excellent replacement spring set.
Not even a genuine Colt is nearly as tuff as a Ruger. It's the apples to oranges thing.
I've had three Cimarron (Uberti) SAA's. All were in 45LC caliber. All there were solid trouble-free revolvers. Never dealt directly with the Cimarron company though. And from what I'm reading here, I probably won't.

Sorry to hear of folk's having troubles with a Texas company. Being a Texan myself, I find it rather embarrassing.

DGW

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I will say this to the credit of Cimarron. Although I bought my Model P in a gun store, I was not the original owner; technically the gun was used. Also, in their literature supplied with each gun, they state that not shooting exactly to POA is not a warranty-able item, but they will adjust POI for a fee. I just called up Cimarron directly, told them my problem, and was transferred to the head gunsmith. He told me to send the gun back, and that I did, having the gun shop I originally bought it from handle the shipping.

Even though it took longer than it should have, Cimarron indexed my barrel to hit POA with my chosen load, free of charge.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
jslough":15h9wgcv said:
I ordered a Cimarron Man With No Name SA pistol through a gun dealer back in Feb. 2010 and haven't gotten it Yet. Called Cimarron and inquried about when might the dealer be getting these guns. Wow...the person I talked to (didn't get his name) was not the most pleasant person to talk to, so I decided to say thanks and end the call. Anyone have any dealings with this company know how to get a pleasant response from them? I know that the guns are made over sea and may take a longtime....but six months and counting.
jer :roll:

I recommend that you place another call and ask to speak to the owner Mike Harvey. Your original inquiry about delivery is now your 2nd issue. Your 1st issue is the customer "No service" you got from whomever you spoke to the 1st time. Mike has probably gotten other complaints about the guy and he needs to hear your negative experience. I met him at the Shot Show and found him to be very customer oriented.

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
brianjp":4v2ovkid said:
I have always wanted that cute little Cimarron Thunderer with the 3 1/2 inch barrel, but now you've made me pause to think long and hard about it.

I bought one of these and I think it's a nice, quality gun, but, it shoots WAY low. With a 6 o'clock hold at about 25 feet it prints well below the target. To get into the black I need to cover the target with my barrel.
I've not shot it yet at longer distances.

D.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
DCRuger":bz33wh8l said:
brianjp":bz33wh8l said:
I have always wanted that cute little Cimarron Thunderer with the 3 1/2 inch barrel, but now you've made me pause to think long and hard about it.

I bought one of these and I think it's a nice, quality gun, but, it shoots WAY low. With a 6 o'clock hold at about 25 feet it prints well below the target. To get into the black I need to cover the target with my barrel.
I've not shot it yet at longer distances.

D.

Shooting low is not a bad thing. Like the orginal Colts, the front sight is generous and can be modified easily to shoot dead on with a load of your choosing. Shooting high would be a problem.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
DCRuger":3ph3kgra said:
Hmmmm,
Well, I'm thinking I'd have to completely remove the front sight!
My Colt SAA shoots right on at that range.

(Smile) I know what you mean. The new Colt's are better than the originals and my Colt sheriff model with 2 1/2"barrel came with a very low site. The shorter the barrel, the lower the front site needs to be.

When you shoot the Thunderer, hold 1/16" of site above the rear notch and then an 1/8" and so on until your shots are dead on. Then you'll know about how much to take off. A little bit off the front site makes a big difference downrange.