Original Ruger Standard Versus MKIII Standard???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nero

Bearcat
I'm going to buy my first Ruger Standard .22 pistol and I'm trying to decide between a excellent condition 4-3/4" original Standard for $225, or a NIB MKIII 4-3/4" Standard for about $300. I'd appreciate any opinions/info on whether or not one is "better" than the other. Thanks.

nero

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
The Mark III Standard is the best buy of the two choices you mentioned. The thumb-activated push button mag release and a last shot bolt hold-open features are more that worth the extra money. The Mark I/Standard does not have these options. Other than that, both are pretty equal in performance.

R,
Bullseye

contender

Ruger Guru
Another feature the MKIII has over the early models is the bolt can be operated with the safety on. To lock the bolt open on a MKI you have to use the safety.

Good points above, and I totally agree, though for the most part, we try and "shop the deal...' both are equally accurate and its reall wwhat YOU "feel good and comfortable" as well as can afford...and yes, the "safety" issues for when 'others' are using the gun, (bolt stays open on the last shot, the magazine release, easier and handier, and the cartidge indicator on the left side,ALL good points and features.....
I alwyas hated the low , European style mag release on the early RST's and Marks, as well as when the "last shot": is fired , or was it??? bothered me, cause MOST people pull the trigger ONE MORE time, to "see"..... :roll:

wwb

Hunter
A better option yet..... keep a lookout for a 4" Mark II.

The Mark II had the safety separate from the bolt lock, and had last shot hold-open, but didn't have the loaded chamber indicator of the Mark III, nor did it require the magazine to be inserted in order to fire.

The Mark II was a large step up from the original, but the Mark III was a giant step backwards.

toysoldier

Hunter
I have a MkIII, and am pretty satisfied with it. I kinda like the loaded chamber indicator, even though it is set up for right-handers. I'm neutral on the magazine disconnect, and would actually prefer the old-style magazine release. It's not a combat pistol that requires lightning-fast magazine swaps, and a heel relaease lets you keep control of the empty magazine. Also, the pushbutton release makes crafting replacement grips more difficult.

fallujah

Bearcat
I have a Mk3. It's my favorite gun. I don't know what the difference is between MK 2 and MK 3, but it's one fine design of a pistol.

Jasperharley

Bearcat
From what I have been reading, the Mark III has some great features and is an all around great gun, but has detractors and functionality that are a result of legislation rather than optimal function. Things like the integrated lock, mag in to fire and LCI while useful, also complicate it some and somehow take away something too.

I did a ton of research and test fired them all. Just got my NIB 1985 MKII 5.5" Bull Target and so far love it.

Is it better than the MKIII? No. But it contains less washington dc...

As for the MKI, its a classic. It has legacy value which some people put more value on than features. In my opinion, buy what you love...

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have several of each MKII and MKIII. I like them both, and it seems that a lot of people like the MKIII and a lot of people like the MKII, and a few people just have to have a bashing with their morning coffee and its totally unwarranted...

Bearlaker

Bearcat
It's pretty easy to remove the LCI and the magazine safety from a MKIII, if they bother you. I shot mine for a while stock and never had a problem with jams due to the LCI, or the insert-remove mag drill during field strips.
But then I did the conversions.

russ69

Bearcat
I have several of each. It's a toss-up, I like the new magazine release location but I never had any trouble with the older location. I don't use the new locking key, so that's not an issue. All function equally well. No problem with the loaded chamber indicator but I never use it. So the only drawback is the mag disconnector and that's only an issue when you field strip the gun. Get both, be happy!

Thanx, Russ