Oregon Trail Bullet Company ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I was in to what used to be Sportsman's Warehouse (now Wholesale Sports) looking for bullets and saw "Laser Cast" bullets by the "Oregon Trail Bullet Co."
Boxes of 500 at a pretty good price. (about $70)

http://www.laser-cast.com/index.html

Anyone tried these?
I was thinking of around 250gr for the 45lc
Seems to be one of the only bullet brands they have good stock in

dougader

Hunter
I've never used them myself. But hear good things about them. They are generally really hard, hard, hard cast. Sometimes that's good, sometimes (with light loads) the bullets don't obturate in the bore and that can lead to leading.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I just finished a box of 1000 of them and they were delicious, um, I mean, they worked great! I'd buy more but they're relatively expensive, and I'm now using a local bullet caster. They worked great in my .45 Blackhawk.

-- Sam

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I love the 158 SWC for my .357

I can load them HOT with no problems. The lead they use is pretty high on the hardness level...more than 20.

Not sure if they cast the .45 that hard, but I do like the bullets.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Alot of people swear by them. I think they're too darn hard and I don't like beveled base bullets.
There aren't any Sportsman's Warehouse stores around these parts anymore. But yeah, Oregon Trail bullets use to be the most common brand of cast bullets in the Sportsman's Warehouse stores here too. For that matter, they're still the most common brand of commercially cast bullets in this area.
They DO have good advertising - "Silver Bullet" and all that. :lol:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
^ I've heard most of the SW locations are reopening as "Outdoor Outfitters" or something similar. One of these days I may have to visit one...

-- Sam

sparks701

Bearcat
I ordered some a while ago and when they arrived most, I would say more than half of the lube was cracked and fell out of the lube grooves. I called them and they said that was o.k because you don't need all the lube grooves to be full in order for them to work properly. ( sounds like B.S to me) I'll stick with Missouri Bullet Company, never had a lube problem and they are alot cheaper, and fast delivery.

revhigh

Hawkeye
THe OTLC bullets are excellent. I've been using the 44 240's loaded at jacketed magnum loads/velocities for years with ZERO leading. No sense shooting expensive bullets into the ground. I've also loaded 1000 of the 45 250's, also at very high velocities. They work great.

THey are absolutely excellent bullets.

REV

the fatman

Single-Sixer
I've just recently gone through my first purchase of 500 255 gr SWCs in 45 and yes I will buy more. And you can buy them from the company and have them shipped to your door. :D

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I have went through either 500 or 1k (i can't remember how many I ordered) of the round nose 250 gr in 45 Colt, I am almost through w/ 1k of of the 255 gr SWC, and already have my next 1k sitting on the shelf. I am extremely pleased w/ them and the folks at Oregon Trail are pretty nice too.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
Well Bob Munden likes them if that means anything but personally I never could make them work for me I shot them slow shot them fast and no matter what I got lots of leading so now I cast my own and I'm saving tons from not buying chore boy anymore

A

Anonymous

CDFingers":dut0z4g1 said:
I use those exact boolits. My favorite load is 8.5 gr Unique, which gives me about 960 fps (avg) from my 4 5/8" Vaquero, the old model, with tight groups if I do my part.

CDFingers

What primer?

A

Anonymous

Thank You
I've just found a place that has both 44 and 45 (Winchester) new brass in stock and ordered both. Maybe I will try that Unique it seems to be fairly popular.

Now if I can just find primers.....

kpp80202

Bearcat
I have used the Laser Cast in .45 Colt and .38/.357 and found them to be very hard, and great for higher pressure loads. I tried pushing them slow once, and had a ton of leading like one of the earlier posters mentioned from the failure to obturate. Pushed fast, like at 38+P and .357 mag levels, they work very well. None of mine had lube issues. As an aside, I bought a box of very similar bullets from Colorado Cast Bullet Co. for a bit less money, and they perform just as well.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
I've used the 115 gr in the 32 mag and some 158 gr in the 357.
They are VERY hard .. BH = 24 and I have found they need to
be pushed fast with a slow burning powder and have never had
any leading. Cabelas carrys them. .. I like'em..

FrontSite