Oregon Trail 215 gr SWC in 41 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Well santa delivered a late present: a box of 500 bullets of Oregon Trail cast SWC's and they look pretty nice. Interesting in that they use a silver mix as part of the formulation which obviously aids in hardness (and I assume reduces fouling), though the lube band seems a bit weak/inconsistent on some of the bullets.

So--any sweet recipes anyone has brewed up with these? Another question--has anyone hunted with these and noticed any difference between the way they perform compared to "conventional" lead cast bullets? thanks!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Those bullets are very hard and will most likely have to be driven very hard. I had some and they leaded the barrel badly but then I never had any good luck with lead. They would be good for hunting.

The silver alloy is a bogus advertisement. I bet they put less than 0.1 grain of silver in a vat of lead. :D

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Can't say for sure, but I expect it could be pewter not silver... :?

I recently had some pewter given to me and the tin content is valuable to we bullet casters. Very little is needed to sweeten bullet alloy, around 5% and is more to improve castability than hardness... :wink:

Note to jimbo:
By now most of us know of your "bad luck" with cast bullets, although many of us dote on homebrewed handgun projectiles. Heck, a lot of us enjoy casting almost as much as shooting! It's a downright shame that you are limited to stuffing J-word bullets in your cases to attain any degree of success... :cry:

I have had good luck with cast bullets. I push them them a moderate speed with no problems.
In my super 14 contender I do get some leading, I suspect the bore is a tad tighter

Triggerpull no help with the Oregon bullets never used them. M&P outta Vt. is what I use,
pretty good hard bullets and reasonable Mom & Pop operation. Give me a shout if you like to
try some. ps

992B

Bearcat
Triggerpull, I use these bullets with 17 to 18 grains of 2400 powder and a firm crimp on the bullet. I see no accuracy difference using either standard or magnum primers. Make sure your revolver has a good forcing cone, preferably an 11 degree angle. I found these to be like Thor's hammer on deer!! Regards, Gary

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
I can't figure out the "silver" part myself--but they clearly have a bright silverish component that seems to make them harder than any other all-lead cast bullet I have. I'm wondering if it's more like nickle/zinc--lots of case makers use those to harden weak areas in cases. Appreciate the advice and will get to loading some up soon. If anybody ever gets a line on either 2400, #7 or Unique (that I can order) PLEASE pm me or post here! ; )

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
thanks for that Dixie. looks like a great resource. I've been a little reluctant to go down the rabbit hole of casting my own since I already have my hands full with conventional reloading--plus every caster I know says doomsday is at hand since nobody makes lead in the US anymore and gas stations are moving away from lead balancers.

Latest posts