Oregon Non-resident Carry Permit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I live in WA State. I have WA and UT carry permits. Oregon does NOT recognize permits from other states. It will, however, issue non-resident permits to residents from adjoining states (such as WA). I can comply with all the requirements BUT must submit my application to a county sheriff. I can apply to any county in the state but must show "compelling" reason to carry. Some sheriffs consider "self-defense" a compelling justification. Apparently, sheriffs have complete discretion.

Does anyone know which jurisdictions consider "self-defense" a justification for a carry-permit?

I DO NOT need any arm-chair Second Amendment lawyers spouting off==just a simple answer!

I live in WA State. I have WA and UT carry permits. Oregon does NOT recognize permits from other states. It will, however, issue non-resident permits to residents from adjoining states (such as WA). I can comply with all the requirements BUT must submit my application to a county sheriff. I can apply to any county in the state but must show "compelling" reason to carry. Some sheriffs consider "self-defense" a compelling justification. Apparently, sheriffs have complete discretion.

Does anyone know which jurisdictions consider "self-defense" a justification for a carry-permit?

I DO NOT need any arm-chair Second Amendment lawyers spouting off==just a simple answer!
Wait a bit. The recent court decision involving New York might change the requirements. Supposedly, California no longer requires a compeling reason.

44horse

Bearcat
Wait a bit. The recent court decision involving New York might change the requirements. Supposedly, California no longer requires a compeling reason.
That decision has made it worse in NY, not better! With the new laws on guns and ammo things have gotten out of hand. Hopefully the lawsuits will help rein things in.

Where do you live. I would NOT attempt Multnomah county. I worked with the current Clackamas CO Sheriff but have no idea where she stands on that. The last one was good. I would phone Clatsop County in Astoria if your near the coast. A friend got one a few years ago who lived on the WA coast. Over dinner he was telling me how easy it was. If in eastern part of the state, I would phone Umatilla County SO. out of Pendelton. I do know some people that live in the county and doubt that county would vote into office any anti gun Sheriff.

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Thanks. I have a request for a determination from Murrow County. If I get a negative, I'll try another (may anyway=I'm retired and have the time!). Pendleton said "NO". Malheur only does Idaho and Nevada residents.

OxCart

Bearcat
Please note that this new site is not LIVE until 9-25. I work at a Mult Co gunstore and we have many, many WA residents with Oregon CHL's. Good luck.
The CHL unit has recently moved to as new location.
Address:

3083 NE 170th Place
Portland, OR 97230

Phone: 503-988-0517
Fax: 503-988-0530
Email: [email protected]

Well between Pendelton (Umatilla County SO) and Malheur county there is Union and Baker county SOs. I am surprised to learn Mult. Co. SO. is giving out of state CCWs. When I worked at MCSO the only carry permits were issued to a few judges and the like. Not one common man or woman could get one. Of course the state law changed a while back and forced some changes.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Please note that this new site is not LIVE until 9-25. I work at a Mult Co gunstore and we have many, many WA residents with Oregon CHL's. Good luck.
The CHL unit has recently moved to as new location.
Address:

3083 NE 170th Place
Portland, OR 97230

Phone: 503-988-0517
Fax: 503-988-0530
Email: [email protected]
I know. I checked last week and the sheriff's site said no non-residents will be issued.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
OK-Update from what I have found (I checked the websites for the sheriffs of each county in Wash (excluding west side counties).
1. Multnomah is now issuing non-resident permits (Washington only) This just changed and you can't apply until 9/25/2022.
2. Counties have complete discretion=almost ALL do not issue Non-resident permits!
3. I have requests in for a determination of "pressing cause" from 2 or 3 sheriffs (before I drive down there to apply in person)
4. Malheur issues permits to Nevada and Idaho residents only!

Let you know what I find out!

redhawker

Buckeye
I'm confused. I thought the recent SCOTUS decision on the New York case said they couldn't require you to have a compelling reason for a permit?

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I'm confused. I thought the recent SCOTUS decision on the New York case said they couldn't require you to have a compelling reason for a permit?
Apparently, only for residents. Non-Residents are discretionary apparently.

Anyway, it is what it is. I'm not going to start a lawsuit in each and every county.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
My justification to Crook County Sheriff's Office:

I am a long-time resident of Chelan County, WA where I retired after 20+ years with the Department of the Interior. I am inquiring as to the possibility of obtaining a Non-Resident CHL.

My reasons are: Personal security and defense while traveling through eastern Oregon. We travel south to Califronis and Nevada as well as various sites and locations in Oregon for sightseeing and recreation.

Background:
1. I have CHL from Washington (Resident) and Utah (Non-resident).
2. As a Federal Employee and former Supervisor, I have passed background checks (and had a security clearance) several times. I was bonded while in grad school as a licensed hunting guide in California.
3. Well established in Wenatchee, WA and active in civic affairs (as a Freemason, conservationist, etc.) 4. I recently took the Oregon Sheriff's Association class and test. I have previously taken the class for the Utah Non-Resident Class, several NRA Hunting classes while in California, as well as helped teach them as an adult.
5. I am a veteran.

Could you let me know if it would be worth my time and money to appear in person to apply?

You time and consideration in this matter is truly appreciated.

Thank you!

Greg E. Van Stralen.

His response:

Attachments

• Response ltr to Mr. VanStralen.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 135
That's suck but don't give up, there is Clatsop, Columbia, Multnomah, Hood River, Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam and Wallowa counties to check with. A friend retired as Columbia sheriff or I would make a phone call on your behalf. I lost contact with him, I was told he moved to another state.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
That's suck but don't give up, there is Clatsop, Columbia, Multnomah, Hood River, Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam and Wallowa counties to check with. A friend retired as Columbia sheriff or I would make a phone call on your behalf. I lost contact with him, I was told he moved to another state.
Thanks=I'm trying!

BearBiologist

Buckeye
th (1).jpg
It Seems to have lived its life-span! Apparently, Multnomah (Portland) is easier than the more rural counties and is going to an online system later this month. It appears the rural areas are completely lost. Some say you must apply to a border state where you will be entering into OR (Malheur only issues permits to NV and ID), Crook appears to vacillate between no permits and issuing permits to who they please. Most of the northern counties do not issue non-resident permits at all and, at least, are honest about it. I am going to apply on-line when Multnomah comes on-line. Otherwise, I will simply open carry which is legal throughout the state except where prohibited (Figure that one out!) or lock my pistol in a locked container and keep the key handy (NOT in the lock!).

Thanks all for the advice!