Ordered a new air rifle. Benjamin 392S in .22.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
powder smoke said:
Bought my Benjamin Air rifle in 69 or 70 its a Blue Streak. Not sure if they still make that model.
Still shoot it from time to time, you will not regret it, enjoy! They are definitely durable. ps

IIRC, the Blue Streak and Silver Streak were made by Sheridan back then. Sheridan was purchased by the Benjamin Air Rifle Company in 1977, and later purchased by Crosman in 1994 according to Wikipedia. I started off with a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun(present from my uncle) and later went to a Benjamin 342 and RWS’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheridan_Products

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have an older Gamo break barrel .177. Plenty accurate and powerful. Lately have been looking for a .22 cal . I am looking at break barrel or underlever guns. I have no desire to pump a gun more than once to shoot it. Sure you can get different velocities by pumping more or less , but your sights or scope are always zeroed in for one particular velocity. I just want one to deal with, maximum velocity. All of my shooting is done outdoors so I have no need for reduced pellet speeds.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
in my teens I had a benjamin blue streak. Filled a 1 gallon metal gas can with water. 10 Pumps and shot the can. dented the back side of the can half an inch out. Stuck it in my golf bag and hunted jackrabbits on golf course at twilight. Fond memories. greg

powder smoke

Hawkeye
hpman66 said:
powder smoke said:
Bought my Benjamin Air rifle in 69 or 70 its a Blue Streak. Not sure if they still make that model.
Still shoot it from time to time, you will not regret it, enjoy! They are definitely durable. ps

IIRC, the Blue Streak and Silver Streak were made by Sheridan back then. Sheridan was purchased by the Benjamin Air Rifle Company in 1977, and later purchased by Crosman in 1994 according to Wikipedia. I started off with a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun(present from my uncle) and later went to a Benjamin 342 and RWS’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheridan_Products

Yes sir! that is correct! ps

jgt

Blackhawk
I have an under barrel cocking lever gun that was made in china. The same type guns can run from a few ten spots to a few hundred. I have not been able to find the difference in the high priced ones from the low. I suspect most of the cost is in the stock and ginger bread, but some shoot at 650 fps others to 1100 fps. My question is can my basic gun be rebuilt into one that shoots like the high dollar ones? Where would I go to get such information?

Snake45

Hawkeye
jgt said:
I have an under barrel cocking lever gun that was made in china. The same type guns can run from a few ten spots to a few hundred. I have not been able to find the difference in the high priced ones from the low. I suspect most of the cost is in the stock and ginger bread, but some shoot at 650 fps others to 1100 fps. My question is can my basic gun be rebuilt into one that shoots like the high dollar ones? Where would I go to get such information?
IMHO this is like asking if you can get an old H&R revolver "rebuilt" into something that shoots like a S&W. Again IMHO, you're better off just buying the S&W in the first place if that's what you want. :?

Pyramid Air can probably know where to go for a rebuild, but probably to the original specs. Castboolits forum has an air gun sub forum: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?182-AirGuns
gramps

Danjet500

Buckeye
jgt said:

I doubt that you can upgrade that rifle. Probably be cost prohibitive. The Sheridan Blue Streaks, however, can be. A gentleman named Timmy Mac in CA performs what he calls the "steroid treatment" and really increases the power. However, that extra power comes at a cost. Pumping effort is also increased. Couple links below for airgun info and repair. I have actually used both of them.

https://www.mac1airgunshop.com

https://www.bakerairguns.com

Tallbald

Buckeye
If I may chime in here please. There's a strong following for the Chinese air guns and many mods and tweaks can be fount at Gatewaytoairguns.org. I'm Tallbald there too and have learned a HUGE amount of airgun information. Very friendly people in my experience and very willing to share information. I suggest a google search for a specific question on a Chinese airgun followed by "GTA" in the search box. The Chinese guns can be a bit rough around the edges but I've read about tuned ones outshooting airguns costing 4 and 5 times as much. Pretty interesting stuff. Also Flying Dragon is a tuner that sells Chinese airguns that perform outstandingly. Like everything else however, even the Chinese airguns can be in short supply as a result of the......Chinese Flu!
Don

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Danjet500 said:
I doubt that you can upgrade that rifle. Probably be cost prohibitive. The Sheridan Blue Streaks, however, can be. A gentleman named Timmy Mac in CA performs what he calls the "steroid treatment" and really increases the power. However, that extra power comes at a cost. Pumping effort is also increased. Couple links below for airgun info and repair. I have actually used both of them.

https://www.mac1airgunshop.com

https://www.bakerairguns.com

Hi,

I didn't know Tim McMurray was still working on the "old" stuff. He rebuilt three guns for me years ago: a Winchester (Diana) break barrel pistol with a torn seal, the old trusty Benjamin 312 which was simply worn out, and a Sheridan Blue Streak he did up with his super tune. As Dan mentioned, the difference in the pre-tune and post-tune rifle was amazing. Last I heard, Tim was concentrating on the PCPs and building the air rifle version of race guns with them. It's good to see his name again!

Rick C

Snake45

Hawkeye
Y'all have reminded me that a decade or more ago I bought a cheap Chinese spring-piston airgun that looks a little like an SKS. I don't even remember if it's underlever, sidelever, or break-barrel. I don't even remember if it's .177 or .22. All I remember is that it shot two or three inches to the left or right at 10 yards, and nothing I tried could get the sights and the holes in the paper anywhere close. Oh well, I got it dirt cheap, like maybe $15 or something (used at a flea market).

I should dig that hot mess out and have another go at it, just since I'm currently in an airgun kinda mood. :?

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
Be careful and avoid PCP rifles. They tend to multiply and absorb resources. I think I need a support group....

I have springer rifles. Yesterday a squirrel was sitting on a limb outside my back door. I figured by the time I walked to my bedroom and back he would be gone. How long can an springer stay “ cocked and loaded?” Without degrading the FPS or function?
gramps

Latest posts