Ordered a new air rifle. Benjamin 392S in .22.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
https://www.crosman.com/product/benjamin-392s-22
With my renewed enthusiasm for air guns during the lockdown and shortages, I'd been looking around for a new air gun to add to my small stable. There are lots of fantastic new and old school models from which to choose. I happen though to favor multi-pump pneumatics and spring-air models for the simplicity and traditional independence from support equipment like compressors. Reading lots and lots of articles, and enjoying youtube reviews I finally found the gun for me. Using a coupon code I got a good discount plus free shipping, bringing the price to what this old bald retired fat man felt was pretty OK.
Like the popular air guns of my youth (Sheridan Blue and Silver Streaks, Benjamin 347's and several others), this gun is made of lots of hard brass with other steel components. No, the wood stock is no longer available but this latest version has a higher comb for good results with optics, which is what mine will wear soon enough.
I also got to use my chronograph for the first time over the weekend. Including testing 18 grain pellets with 10 pumps from another 392PA I already own (which I'll add cuts 1/2 inch center to center groups from a rest at 60 feet, using Williams aperture rear sight). Friends as air guns go this one performs. 15 foot-pounds of muzzle energy at 15 feet. A heavy 18 grain pellet with that energy punches clear through many small game animals , like garden-destroying squirrels and rabbits. And racoons.
Now the wait for shipping confirmation from the factory starts. And shopping for the Baker scope base that attaches to the breech without stressing the soldered breech-to-pump tube-joint.
Simply wanted to share my being tickled, friends. Hey. Putting lead downrange by one method or another !
Don

Good luck with this rifle. I went to Wal Mart today, and walks through the sporting goods section. No ammo, but they did have a pretty nice selection of air rifles. The Ruger pellet rifle and probably 6 or 8 other rifles. Must be the newest thing.

Let us know how you like it. I’d be interested in hearing about it.

You have made a good choice. You already know that. 8)

I have the dinosaur version of the same rifle, although I've not shot it for a while. I need to.

Back when I did shoot it more regularly, I remember it shot well, shot accurately, and the pellet would pass thru a squirrel.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thank you all for the kind replies. This rifle should be a very nice addition for me. Yes pellets are indeed rather scarce.Especially the higher-end import brands it seems. I was on a waiting list for over a month for some H&N and some JSB brands, but many find that practical accuracy for hunting is just fine too with old standby Crosman premiers from Walmart. That includes me!
Thanks again folks, and once I have some time behind the pump with this one I'll share what I find.
Don

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Looks good, Don! With a bit of a family resemblance to my old Benjamin 312. It was built before they merged with Sheridan and changed a couple of things from the Benjamin style to Sheridan's style--most likely bean counters at work.

In some recent mining adventures in a bedroom closet, I came across the box for that air rifle with the original price tag. Early '60s purchase, $23.57. And a tin of 250 Benjamin pellets was 89 cents! I've no idea how many 1000s of pellets--of various prices--have gone thru it other than to say it was completely rebuilt one time along the way!

Rick C

Tallbald

Buckeye
Grin. I remember at age 5 or 6, I heard Daddy discussing with Mama getting me a pellet gun. That was 1963 or so. My grandfather passed away and instead I ended up with his single shot Remington 514 bolt action. Still have that one, but I still sort of wish I'd have also gotten that pellet gun, likely which would have been a Benji or a Sheridan. I do have a moving sale snagged 1977 "Benjamin Franklin" .177 model 347 multi-pump. A beautiful walnut stocked pumper with brass showing through the slightly worn sharp corners, it's still a fine shooter.
I always enjoyed air guns, but with 2 cents a round .22LR up to a couple years ago (Federal Black Pack after rebate) i mostly shot rimfire. Like so many others now though I'm more ....selective...in using ammo that's difficult to replace. My air guns have taken on new meaning and importance to me, and given the renewed motivation to use them I'm glad I've rediscovered their fun.
Thanks friends for the kind replies!
Don

SamV

Blackhawk
I have the .177 caliber version with the old style wood stock. I haven’t brought it out in awhile. It is a good design that has been around for a long time. It was a great introduction to firearms for all of my kids (and wife). I wish it were .22 just for my old fingers. Have fun!

Danjet500

Buckeye
I have 3 Sheridan Blue Streaks, one with a Williams peep, one with a scope and one with original sights. The peep sighted one gets shot the most. I also have a C9A with a Williams peep. All are .20 caliber. Fortunately I bought several thousand rounds of pellets a few years agk and just picked up another 1000 last week.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Looks like several of us are getting into airguns in this sad day of ammo expense/unavailability. Pat-in-co and I just got Springfield Armory M1A underlever rifles, he in .177 and me in .22. I love mine, and he seems to like his, too. You can read about them here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=294468

I also bought the Springfield Armory M1 Carbine (CO2/bb) and just got to shoot it for the first time this morning. It's a true semiauto and what a hoot! Amazingly like shooting the real thing! Cheap thrills/cheap fun! :D

Good going Tallbald! Air guns have been a hoot since I was 12. When I was travel nursing I had a top floor apt in Tx. Asian dove congregated across the street and kept me awake. Went to Walmart and got an Beeman RS2(both .177, and .22 barrels) air gun. It didn’t take long to clear out the flock! I stocked up on pellets long ago.
Just got it out again a couple weeks ago in .22. https://postimg.cc/gallery/qd11Mn0
https://postimg.cc/zHSxnKn6
The range was 12 yds
gramps

After reading the posts I got out my unfired (manufactured under license from) Ruger Air Hawk air rifle, .177. Fiber optic front and rear (windage and elevation adjustable) and an adjustable trigger. Need to put the bore sighter on it and see how the sights are and then shoot it a bit. Only bad (?) part is it is cut for old time .22 mounts. Not sure, have to do some research to see if I could drill and tap for regular mounts or a rail.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks for the replies friends. Gramps now that's funny. Don't care who ya are! Southern inspiration taking care of business. Grin. Stray cats have to eat too. Don.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Since AZ weather during the Summer (almost six months of it) is at or above 100*,
I have been shooting indoors. That in turn creates a tad of a problem in that the
amount of light is reduced. Dug out some sight paint to get the front sight a bit
brighter, thus easier to see.

The bullet trap I have (rated for .22lr) SURE rings! :wink:

Also, I got one of the Beeman Sportsman model 2004 ($35 at Amazon with tax
included). Since it has the fiber optics included, it is much easier to shoot.

Amazing accuracy from both. 8)

P.S. Trigger from both is quite good; amazingly so! :wink:

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
Really dumb question here, as my knowledge of air guns is basically zilch. The more I read, the less I know.
Here's my question: I have a multi-pump pneumatic BB gun which I really like. I can pour a handful off BB's into it, and fire away. How are pellets loaded? Is it one shot at a time or some other method?
Thanks.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Skidboot said:
Really dumb question here, as my knowledge of air guns is basically zilch. The more I read, the less I know.
Here's my question: I have a multi-pump pneumatic BB gun which I really like. I can pour a handful off BB's into it, and fire away. How are pellets loaded? Is it one shot at a time or some other method?
Thanks.
Nearly all pellet guns are one shot at a time.

There are a few that work off a rotary magazine like a revolver (some ARE revolvers).

I have an old Daisy 1911 lookalike that feeds .177 pellets from a magazine located on the top of the "slide." The trigger action is double-action style to accommodate the feeding.

But basically, the pellet guns are loaded one shot at a time.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Bought my Benjamin Air rifle in 69 or 70 its a Blue Streak. Not sure if they still make that model.
Still shoot it from time to time, you will not regret it, enjoy! They are definitely durable. ps

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks for the good thoughts folks! Today the 392S arrived and it's everything I'd hoped it would be. A quality piece that takes me back to olden days in many ways. Love seeing that bright brass drilled and tapped set of holes for aperture sights too.
Specs I have Benjamin Franklin 347 from 1977. Bought at a moving auction for $50, it's a gem.
Don

Latest posts