Optical sight recommendation for Mini-14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

McCoyB

Bearcat
I want an optical sight for my Mini-14 Ranch rifle. I do not like the looks of a big scope on this compact rifle. Any experience with the AimPoints? I'm leaning to a Leupold VX-1 2-7X which is relatively compact, but the Aimpoints the Security officers use on their Bushmaster carbines use at the facility where I work are enticing with their very compact size. I will be discussing them with our armourer to get his input, but I would like to know what users of the Ruger use.

Please help me. The open sights are okay, but these eyes are not as young as they were many years ago.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I have an Aimpoint ML2 on an AR and they are excellent but I have no experience with one on a Mini-14. However, I would expect the same great results on any rifle. I do, however, have an older Tasco ProPoint red dot on a non-Ranch Mini GB using a B-Square side mount that works well. :mrgreen:

308dave

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum. I have a 6.8 SPC Ranch Rifle topped with a VX-III 2-7. I bought a VX-I 1.5-5 shotgun scope for its compact size but noticed a big difference in sight picture quality early morning-late evening (it's my deer rifle and they're most active then) and switched back to the VX-III. If you're using the rifle for plinking or any other full daylight use the VX-I should work fine.

308dave

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum. I have a 6.8 SPC Ranch Rifle topped with a VX-III 2-7. I bought a VX-I 1.5-5 shotgun scope for its compact size but noticed a big difference in sight picture quality early morning-late evening (it's my deer rifle and they're most active then) and switched back to the VX-III. If you're using the rifle for plinking or any other full daylight use the VX-I should work fine.

targshooter

Bearcat
I have used the Leupold VX-I, 1-4x shotgun scope on my Ruger Mini-30 and 14 for several years now. I also have one on my Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker in .308. The Mini-14 and the BAR were purchased and have been set up as anti-terrorist rifles. I chose the VX-I for its compactness, robustness and large crosshairs. These rifles are all sighted in at 200 yards, a range beyond which (the 300 meters at the club) the scope has crosshairs that are too large with another big long range negative of a permanent shotgun range parallax (set for about 75 yards I believe). For the most part I envision these to be used defensively at under 100 yards, so this scope is what I chose. I prefer the 2x settings. The Mini scope that has been on the 30 and 14 has seen about 1,000 rounds with no problem, that on the BAR being fine after several hundred rounds. For quick offhand shots at 100 yards and under these scopes have no peer in my estimation; the crosshairs being very visible and quick to locate on the target.

McCoyB

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. They help a lot. I would like some more input on the red dot types, but expect the standard optics are the better way to go, particularly for anything over 100 yards. I followed the link and that was helpful, particularly the recommendation about the Nikon Buckmaster. I had thought about that one as my gun dealer has recommended it. He also recommended the Leupold for its size and I like the reputation and it is not that much more expensive. I will eagerly read any other advice I pick up here, but will most likely go with the VX-1 2-7. 200 yards is about as far as I expect this rifle is really good for and that scope should work nicely for that range. I primarily plan to use it for fun and personal defense. If something is over 200 yards, then I guess the .308 will take care of it.

Thanks again. I like this place.