Opinions wanted on value of RARE M77 Ultralight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jorge

Bearcat
Howdy folks - new to this forum and hoping to learn from your collective expertise. I have a Ruger M77 RLS Ultralight in 30/06. It is an 18.5" barrel model with factory iron sights and the original Ruger scope rings. it has a tang safety, black forend tip and a red butt pad. It is fitted with a Leupold VXII 2-7X scope. Everything was purchased new around 1990. I hunted with it for one season and took a nice ten point whitetail with it. The gun has been in my safe ever since. It is flawless - not a mark on it - just like new. Beautiful stock in pristine condition. I know how rare this combination of gun model and condition is - almost impossible to find. Undoubtedly a collectible. I have no burning desire to sell it due to the sentimental value, but would consider selling if the value is high enough. Thoughts?

Attachments

• AF131B0E-CDED-43AA-9984-B02A7FB1DC5C.jpeg
    AF131B0E-CDED-43AA-9984-B02A7FB1DC5C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 502
  • BD0F4667-D765-4F40-BA5E-842C562139B5.jpeg
    BD0F4667-D765-4F40-BA5E-842C562139B5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 302
  • D2DFC159-BFE6-4CCD-A42F-0EC07888CB95.jpeg
    D2DFC159-BFE6-4CCD-A42F-0EC07888CB95.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 308
Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

Looking at completed auctions at places like Gun Broker was many times the best bet for current values.

Jorge

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I have done that research already. Almost no data. No current listings. Only one sold listing for this gun in a later model - no red butt pad. It was in fair condition. Had bluing wear and stock nicks and chips. No scope rings or scope. Sold for $865. What I'm looking for is the true collector value of my rifle. I know the vintage (red pad) is rare and the condition is literally like new - so I'm thinking the rifle and scope are worth in the neighborhood of $2k? Maybe more? I'll post a couple pics - that could help. Thanks again!

There is one just like yours for sale in the Classifieds right now with a Redfield wide field scope for $900.00…I think 2K is too high, even for this desirable rifle, the 308 seems to bring the most of the RLS rifles…but not 2K, I purchased a ANIB 243 last year at auction for less than 1K with auction fees.

Last edited:

Jorge

Bearcat
Thanks for that find - good data. That rifle is nice but a long way from perfect. I'm still digging for true collector value. I guess it's about finding someone willing to pay for what they're looking for. I agree that $2k is probably too steep - but not far away from collector value - vs the value of a well used shooter. The 30-06 RLS red pad is a rare rifle. The RL's have a 20" clean barrel and are more abundant. All nice rifles. I'll just keep it if I can't get a premium for it!

Hairtrigger

Single-Sixer
You seem set on believing it is $2k and just want confirmation
If you look hard enough it is possible to find the perfect buyer!
I love odd or unusual guns and find it is very difficult to put a value on something that is rarely offered for sale

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I have done that research already. Almost no data. No current listings. Only one sold listing for this gun in a later model - no red butt pad. It was in fair condition. Had bluing wear and stock nicks and chips. No scope rings or scope. Sold for $865. What I'm looking for is the true collector value of my rifle. I know the vintage (red pad) is rare and the condition is literally like new - so I'm thinking the rifle and scope are worth in the neighborhood of $2k? Maybe more? I'll post a couple pics - that could help. Thanks again!
Worth about half of what you think...sorry IMHO

Jorge

Bearcat
I respectfully disagree. The $2k is not a shot in the dark - it's based on what data I've been able to find. I've been researching a lot over the last couple of days. I have to stress - this is not the value for a "shooter" gun - this is collector value. Big difference. This gun is extremely rare and next to impossible to find in new condition. One sale on Gunbroker within the last month was for a newer, more common version - no red butt pad. It was in barely fair condition. Had bluing wear and stock nicks and chips. No scope rings or scope. Sold for $865. Just the Leupold scope and ruger rings on my rifle would bring $400 - maybe more. I am going to post this rifle on Gunbroker to try to flush out some Ruger collectors. If the right person sees this rifle and wants it - I think it will bring north of $1500. If it doesn't, it will always have a spot in my safe. I'll post the results when I have them. Appreciate all the comments and opinions - it's been helpful. Thanks all.

Jorge

Bearcat
I totally agree as far as shooters are concerned. From what I've read the 30/06 and 270 are the rarest calibers for this gun made in that timeframe. If that's true it helps with collector value.

chet15

Hawkeye
A gun will bring whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.
That said, M77's with sights.... or any Ruger bolt rifle with sights for that matter, are hard to find today. Ruger decided that their M77 Mark II's with sights and the later Hawkeye rifles with sights were not big sellers so all were discontinued, except for the big bore calibers. Shooters don't want sights... and 98% of gun buyers are shooters.
Everybody would love to have their gun or car or coin to be worth lots of $, but it will only bring a big amount if somebody has enough "pucker factor" to pull the trigger on it.
But hey.... Varmint barreled M77's are bringing $1,500 these days and those buyers aren't buying them for rarity because they certainly aren't rare, so go figure....
Chet15

Hello Jorge; I have the MKII version in 308 with a Leupold 1.75X6 compact scope. I'm sentimentaly attached to it after taking a cow moose with it on a hunt with my Dad. It would take alot more than two G's to pry it away from me. Best of luck with yours. Mike

Attachments

• WP_20151109_10_10_28_Pro_2.jpg
    WP_20151109_10_10_28_Pro_2.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 147
Hello Jorge; I have the MKII version in 308 with a Leupold 1.75X6 compact scope. I'm sentimentaly attached to it after taking a cow moose with it on a hunt with my Dad. It would take alot more than two G's to pry it away from me. Best of luck with yours. Mike
That is a rare gun for sure. That would be the rarest of the rls's

JCK

Single-Sixer
Do you have the original box? Without that, value is greatly diminished.
W/O original box, collector value is nil.
However, it's value as a shooter/hunter remains. Still, not a 2G value. Maybe $8-900. Scope doesn't materially improve value. You're c
Better off selling separate.
I've got a #1 RSI in 7x57Mauser. It's clean but with minor dings. No box. If I thought I could get $1G for it, I'd dump it tomorrow!

j p sixguns welldone

Single-Sixer
I would agree with most everybody else,you might get the amount your looking for on gunbroker i've seen some crazy prices on there lately but without the box and not new in the box unused it probably won't bring 2k 77rsi in 7x57 which is more rare than yours brought $2449 new in box buy it now says sale pending and that's what the rls were rsi''s in a different stock or rl stock.good luck if you chose to sell it, me i'd just keep it

Ashirley23

Bearcat
Any thoughts on a Mark II stainless zytel 7.62x39? Just picked it up new in the box with new ruger scope rings. Appears to be a late 90s per serial #. Heard it was a rare find

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1661393036748.jpg
    FB_IMG_1661393036748.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 169