Opinions re: Ruger 50th Anniv. .44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
I already have the 50th Anniv. .357, so now I'm looking to add the .44. Any opinions out there re: this revolver, good or bad?

I prefer the grip frame of the .357 (I have small hands), and it appears that the .44 has the identical grip frame. That's my primary interest in this .44 as opposed to a super blackhawk. I will be shooting exclusively cast-bullet handloads in it, at low to mid velocities. I'm doing the same thing with the .357, and it shoots my handloads really well.

Seems like I recall some people having issues with this gun under recoil (maybe the ejector rod housing coming loose?) I'm curious as to whether this is the case with the reduced loads as well.

Thanks in advance.

Rclark

Hunter
Have no problem with the Ejector housing coming loose with light loads. Light being 8.5g of Unique pushing 240g bullet. Hotter loads I have had problems, but I think it varies from gun to gun. YMMV.

The grip size is perfect for light to medium loads. I did replace the cheese graters though. I think you'll find it just as easy to control as your .357 and will be pleased. I have both. Quality does appear to be very good for these guns. Highly recommended.

Hope that helps!

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I run mine full tilt boogie. (300's over 1300 fps) IMO, there was a good reason ruger changed the grip frame for full power 44 mag loads.
The cheese graters ate me up the first two cylinders full through it.
It wears a bisley grip frame now.
I do like the grip frame with wider grips (C. Schultz Am. Holly) on my Lipsey's .44 special, and it's comfortable with Elmer's load, or a 300 grain bullet about 1K fps.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I think you would like it. I have three 44s and a 357. Two 44s NIB and a shooter.Plus the prices have went down since I got mine....Besides your 357 needs a buddy :D
377537384.jpg

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
I really like the slim grip w/ the cheese graters. I prefer the look of wood, but the CG's handle just fine to me. Might try those checkered wood NV grips that ruger offers, but I think the price is a bit steep for what they are.

well, I just needed somebody to push me over the edge. Called CDNN and put in an order for one. really can't beat the price of these things.

RClark, thats about the load i'll be using in it. I use a 240 g. SWC propelled by 7-8 g. of unique in my Model 29.

don44

Hunter
I like mine just fine, it's a well made revolver. I shoot medium loads in mine. Easier on me and the Ruger.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Mine killed me with .44 Specials. I immediately switched to smooth walnut grips. Still too painful so now it wears a modified Super Blackhawk grip frame and is a pussycat to shoot.......

JMHO,

flatgate

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
It's a very well-made gun, no problems there.

What people complain about is the small grip frame equipped with the "cheese-graters".

Then again, at the prices they go for at CDNN and elsewhere, they're a superb starting point for modification :). Bisley conversion comes to mind. But for less money, somebody out there is making wood grips for the new XR3 grip frame that extends the wood further down, giving you a feel more like that of the classic SuperBlackhawk large plowhandle...

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I didn't like the cheese graters on my .44 Special either, but I got the distinct impression that if I liked the look and feel of the grips that I would be able to reduce the CG effect by simply sanding them down a bit. Not a lot, just to remove the sharp points from the checkering.

I really do like the look of the CGs, or at least that size grip. I went for the oversize (longer) grips from "41 Magnum", and they are imminently more comfortable for my largish hands.

Before:

IMG_1201Small.jpg

After:

IMG_1216_lightened_small.jpg

No functional issues with mine whatsoever.

-- Sam

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
I love mine, very smooth action for a factory gun and the base pin doesent even fly out of it! However the factory grips had to go, they hurt with full power load's! Replaced them with the factory checkered wood and all is well.