Opinions of 147 gr. 9MM ammo for P Series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I just wanted to gather opinions of using 147 grain 9MM ammo as a self defense ammunition in any of the P series pistols. I have been of the understanding that a heavier bullet gives more of a "push back" into the shooters hand versus a barrell "flip" or rise with a lighter, faster bullet.

Thanks.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Depending on what you read and who you believe, the 147gr 9mm falls somewhere between a death ray and don't touch it with a 10' pole. My personal opinion is that I've read too many writers that say to avoid it due to it being a sub-sonic round. I carry 124gr +P Golden Sabers in mine. I don't have any problem at all shooting them. The 9mm isn't near as "flippy" as a .40.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
ncvikingfan":zvl5x6ny said:
I have been of the understanding that a heavier bullet gives more of a "push back" into the shooters hand versus a barrell "flip" or rise with a lighter, faster bullet.

i will tell you that the colt 1911 government model in .45 ACP shooting standard 230 g. hardball "flips" more smartly than any other handgun i own. 2nd place is glock 22 in .40 S&W. beretta 9mm shooting 115 g. ammo is noticeably more controllable than the other two to me.

K_W

Bearcat
I have shot more than 120 rounds of 147gr. Federal Hydra-Shock and at least 65 rounds of 147gr Hydra-shock Two (HST) through my P95 with no malfunctions. Next week I will shoot about 50 more HSTs and won't have a problem with them either.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I hated my P95 ang traded it off. IF I have to defend myself, it will be 45 acp only.

9x19

Hunter
I think the 147 grain loads degrade the performance of an otherwise fine cartridge.

Anything heavier than 125 grains gives up too much velocity... if you want a lumbering, obese bullet, go with the 230 grain .45ACP. :D

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Stay away from the want-a-be heavy 9mm rounds for self defense, no matter what some think they are not like the 230 gr hardball, heavier doesn't mean better. The heavy 9mm are slow, subsonic even and every one wants to compare them to 230 gr acp rounds but the acps are still way heavier and moving pretty good. Go with a good 124 gr +P, I've shot them for years in my P89 and it never has failed with them. AS for the 40 s&w being "flippy" a heavy fast moving bullet will do that but that flippy round will do a tremendous amount more damage than a fat 9mm round will. Wouldn't trade my CCW, G27 40s&w with 180 gr speer gold dots for anything.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
Hello,

Well, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of consensus on 147 vs 124gr for 9mm defense.

Here you can see a comparison of good sd rounds in these weights.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Of coarse, people aren't made of ballistic gel, so the test results are less than ideal.

I think either choice is just fine. 147 has a little more muzzle flip, so it would be harder/slower to follow up, and it has a little more punch. At handgun ranges, the trajectory isn't a huge factor - but maybe I just need to get better and extend my range.

My personal preference is 124gr.

GhosT

Blackhawk
ncvikingfan,

The old Lighter VS Heavier bullet weight choice.
BTW...Always liked using the 9mm.....for this discussion.

Heavy bullets penetrate deeper,lighter weight bullets expand faster.,
As as general rule.

" I have been of the understanding that a heavier bullet gives more of a "push back" into the shooters hand versus a barrell "flip" or rise with a lighter, faster bullet. "

No insult to you intended, but in the Ruger P-series...
Any guy can handle the recoil of a 9mm.

I personally go with the lighter faster bullets (CORBONS)....
But those that chose heavier bullets,Have an EQUAL argument
for their choice....

Don't sweat the recoil of a 9mm.....
Even those EVIL hard kicking 140 something grain bullets.....

The 9mm is a pussycat....recoil wise.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
Use whatever your gun likes as long as you like it. If your gun shoots the 147gr stuff 4" low then don't use it. I personally like 124gr standard pressure ammo. And what is more important is that my guns like it too.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
GhosT":1imx1yei said:
ncvikingfan,

The old Lighter VS Heavier bullet weight choice.
BTW...Always liked using the 9mm.....for this discussion.

Heavy bullets penetrate deeper,lighter weight bullets expand faster.,
As as general rule.

" I have been of the understanding that a heavier bullet gives more of a "push back" into the shooters hand versus a barrell "flip" or rise with a lighter, faster bullet. "

No insult to you intended, but in the Ruger P-series...
Any guy can handle the recoil of a 9mm.

I personally go with the lighter faster bullets (CORBONS)....
But those that chose heavier bullets,Have an EQUAL argument
for their choice....

Don't sweat the recoil of a 9mm.....
Even those EVIL hard kicking 140 something grain bullets.....

The 9mm is a pussycat....recoil wise.

ab4ka Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoting ab4ka: ""Depending on what you read and who you believe, the 147gr 9mm falls somewhere between a death ray and don't touch it with a 10' pole. My personal opinion is that I've read too many writers that say to avoid it due to it being a sub-sonic round. I carry 124gr +P Golden Sabers in mine. I don't have any problem at all shooting them. The 9mm isn't near as "flippy" as a .40.""

GhosT; Certainly, no insult taken. My truck gun has been a P94 .40 cal. for several years now. I have always heard that the .40 caliber was one of the more "snappy" ones around (don't have any experience with the .357 Sig).

ab4ka; That is why I started this post. I have, over the last couple of years purchased a few 9MM pistols. I was just thinking about rotating one of my Ruger 9's as a truck gun as well. I was just hoping to pose a question in a manner that would lead to a healthy discussion/debate of the bullet weights for 9MM.

Please keep the opinions flowing. Thanks to all who participate.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Please keep the opinions flowing. Thanks to all who participate.

that's what it's all about :D

I had a G27 and I was ok as long as I used the pinky extensions, but if I didn't it would try to come out of my hand. But I never had any problem with a G26. The only .40 pistol I've ever shot decently was a G32C with a ported .40 barrel. It was a great shooter. I loved the .357SIG (in the G32C with it's factory barrel), but had feed problems so I didn't shoot it much.

I stick with 9mm primarily because I shoot it better. I've never noticed a difference between bullet weights in the same gun, I always shot them about the same.