Opening 45LC cyl's ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
whats all this stuff i'm hearing about having to open LC cyl to shoot lead Mine is 2 yrs old blue and handles lead and jacketed both well i think. wouldn't opening cyl make it to loose for jacketed rounds?Mike

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Not really. The problem is Ruger notoriously bores their .45 cylinders too small, below the size of the barrel bore. If you squish a bullet down to .450" at the end of the cylinder, then launch it into a .451" bore, it's not going to make as good contact with the lands as it could. If you open the cylinders up to .4525" (hello Cylindersmith.com) your bullets will still have some meat on them when they get into the bore.

Opening up the forcing cone is another issue, but similar, in that some feel the factory doesn't do the best finishing job that they could.

-- Sam

Pinecone

Blackhawk
What cas said +1! I made a lot of money in my day fixing or "trying" to fix perfectly "good working" guns that were messed with by their owners trying to make them "better". Very, very good advice cas!......................Dick :wink:

edlmann

Blackhawk
oldyeller":1fii3cia said:
whats all this stuff i'm hearing about having to open LC cyl to shoot lead Mine is 2 yrs old blue and handles lead and jacketed both well i think. wouldn't opening cyl make it to loose for jacketed rounds?

"cas" who replied above is too modest.

He's the person many recommend to have their cylinder throats reamed.

Click here for his web site. Poke around a bit; lots of good info there.

As he said, if it works, don't "fix" it.

On the other hand, under "Why Ream" on his web site, he says: "I will say that in the several years that I've been doing this work, in terms of accuracy most guns benefited to some degree. Some did not. NONE have gotten worse."

I got interested enough in this idea that I bought a set of pin gauges to check some of my accumulation. Eye-opening, to say the least.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
CAS fixed my .45 Colt for me. It shot patterns till i sent it to him.
The cylinder and barrel have now moved to another gun, where it shot even better.
I have no idea if the reaming he did on my .32 mag throats helped or not. After more analysis and a few hundred more rounds, it looks like the grips (and the way I hold them) are the problem. But it didn't hurt.