Open Top cartridge revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Seems to be a lot of interest shown on other sites about these open top replicas, most of which I call "replicas of non-existent revolvers." The question comes up regarding their accuracy.

Here is one I had, a .38 Special Open Top from Cimarron. Fun to shoot, but impossible sights for me.

But, as to accuracy, I could hit 5 x 5 on a fifty-five gallon steel drum from two yards back!

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Are these supposed to be cap and ball revolvers that were converted to cartridge?

No, the cartridge conversion revolvers were a previous step in the evolution. They were originally made as cap-and-ball guns then converted to cartridge. The Open Top model was made originally from the factory (Colt). The idea was to use up parts already on hand to clear out inventory. Ol' Sam was long dead, but his legacy of frugality lived on.

Bob Wright

("Legacy of frugality" I can't believe I wrote that.)

jyo

Bearcat
I remember the old H&R 999 revolvers---9 rds of 22LR---nicely made for the price---they were everywhere (but not now) and many, many folks used them as working tools. I guess they would cost way too much to make nowadays and sell for a profit---simpler times back then...

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
I've benched a couple of the 38 and 45 conversions. The 45s shot very tight groups, but the 38 Specials not so much due to the relatively oversized bores (compared to the .357-.358" bullets most often employed in 38 Spcl.) on many models. Hollow-base wadcutters did far better than flat-base bullets, since they could "slug up" to better engage the rifling. I did try a .36 C&B conversion that had cylinder chambered in 38 S&W. With the .361" bullets of that cartridge, it shot much better.

Latest posts