open sight shooting with mark 1,2, or 3 pistols?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
Hello everyone! I am extremely shaky when trying to plink with my ruger mark III with a scope. I have been debating on taking the scope off and shooting with the adjustable iron sights. Does anybody have pictures of groups shot with iron sights at 25 yards? Please post them up if you do. Thanks guys

wwb

Hunter
You will shake just as much without the scope.... you just won't notice it as much.

The odds are your groups will be larger with iron sights than with a scope or red dot.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Same effect had me take my BSA green-dot off when shooting at 10 meters. Seeing that dot jumping all over screwed me up. Now when I shoot at 25 meters, I put it back on, because I'm using a rest. I don't want to talk about my groups at 25 meters unsupported with iron sights.

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
wwb":3ovq1507 said:
You will shake just as much without the scope.... you just won't notice it as much.

The odds are your groups will be larger with iron sights than with a scope or red dot.

But is it possible to learn iron sights and get very good groups out of them at 25 yards?

rooger

Single-Sixer
I put a cheap BSA red dot scope (non-magnifying) on my MK III because unless I was wearing my reading glasses, my iron sights were blurry and I was, to put it simply, dangerous. But the red dot allowed me to shoot decently without wearing glasses. So I used the red dot all the time. But as a trade-off, I noticed I needed to hold the pistol much steadier to keep the dot on the target. So I was heavily concentrating on trying to be steady and the more I concentrated, the more I shook. Well, after many trips to the range and thousands of shots, I tried shooting with the iron sights. To my amazement, I was much more accurate! I found I could now hold the pistol rock-steady because of all my practice with the red dot. In other words, it trained me to hold the pistol steadier...even without wearing my glasses. The red dot is still valuable for quickly getting a sight picture but I'm probably just going to stick with the iron sights for most of my practice.

Ski

Bearcat
lovemyruger2010":6zzpw88g said:
wwb":6zzpw88g said:

But is it possible to learn iron sights and get very good groups out of them at 25 yards?

Of course. Good groups are a result of "consistency". You can be just as consistent with irons as with an optic. Now shot placement at distance - for me, that's a different ballgame...

DMN

Bearcat
rooger":pprda9xb said:
I put a cheap BSA red dot scope (non-magnifying) on my MK III because unless I was wearing my reading glasses, my iron sights were blurry and I was, to put it simply, dangerous. But the red dot allowed me to shoot decently without wearing glasses. So I used the red dot all the time. But as a trade-off, I noticed I needed to hold the pistol much steadier to keep the dot on the target. So I was heavily concentrating on trying to be steady and the more I concentrated, the more I shook. Well, after many trips to the range and thousands of shots, I tried shooting with the iron sights. To my amazement, I was much more accurate! I found I could now hold the pistol rock-steady because of all my practice with the red dot. In other words, it trained me to hold the pistol steadier...even without wearing my glasses. The red dot is still valuable for quickly getting a sight picture but I'm probably just going to stick with the iron sights for most of my practice.

Excellent rooger!!! My experience is quite similar. I have two Mark IIIs. One is a 6" standard with fixed sights. The other is a Target, 5 1/2 bull barrel with a cheap red dot. I find that when I shoot the red dot for 100-150 rounds, then switch to my favorite (standard) my groupings are much tighter for the standard than if I do it the other way around. I don't use a bench or rest at 25 yards. The red dot bounces a bit. But then the standard groups are all good. I wear weak reading glasses for both.

meanc

Single-Sixer
Here are several targets I shot several months ago using Remington Golden bullets /CCI Stingers out of a MKII Target and 22/45 MKIII Target (both 5.5" brrls)

There are two 5-shot groups in each photo.

These were all shot standing unsupported.

To me the trigger job in the MKII is the difference in better accuracy; easier trigger equates to more consistent placement.

102_7112.jpg

102_7114.jpg

102_7111.jpg

102_71.jpg

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
meanc":1qkbz5ir said:
Here are several targets I shot several months ago using Remington Golden bullets /CCI Stingers out of a MKII Target and 22/45 MKIII Target (both 5.5" brrls)

There are two 5-shot groups in each photo.

These were all shot standing unsupported.

To me the trigger job in the MKII is the difference in better accuracy; easier trigger equates to more consistent placement.

102_7112.jpg

102_7114.jpg

102_7111.jpg

102_71.jpg
Thank you for posting pictures of your targets. I am getting an idea of what I can expect when I take this scope off.

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
These 10 round groups were shot off hand at 25 yards. The black circle is just under 4" in diameter.[/quote]

thank you for posting a picture of your target. KEEP THEM COMING EVERYONE.