Open Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I think more choices are always better.
Speaking of choices- a slight hijack / observation: I have been in several places where there is open carry and ( again, just my experience) that in more rural areas I see a lot of folks "loaded for bear". .357s, .45s, .44s, and I even saw an old navy .41. In more urban and suburban areas people are mostly carrying 9mm, .380 revolvers ( A LOT of Taurus, of which even I am not a fan), and even some .22s.

I can understand the rural folks-sort of. They may have to defend against non-human adversaries. While I happen to like smaller handguns, I still don't understand the almost complete differences in different areas.

Interesting observation but I suspect you are right... don't quite know the answer but I'd suspect it is almost the difference between revolver and semi-auto.

Somebody needs to do a serious survey on this, even break it down per state and region. We need the federal government to get involved... maybe that Center for Disease Control could do it?

(hope y'all realize the last was a joke)

It is interesting what people choose or think is best.... but who am I to judge... well I still do to a degree.... friend of mine on the safety committee at church found out I owned a Walther PPK and he has alway wanted one...probably growing up like me with James Bond and the first 5 or 10 movies... (sex in a holster) I loaned him mine and tried to discourage him but he bought it off of me any way.... since he carries a Glock I tried to steer him towards an Sig P365 that is striker fired for a smaller carry gun or back up but he wanted that PPK... even bragged on showing me the cuts on the top of his hand from practicing with it....

HumphreyDaBear

Bearcat
I live in a rural area in the Midwest. When I carry, it's either a .357 Mag., .44 Mag or .45 ACP, full size guns, no compacts. I only carry wearing cross draw holsters with a long shirt covering as much as can be expected. Never blatantly open, so while not 'open' there is a certain amount of imprinting present during the warmer months. I do occasionally see the 'clown type' strutting around in an open carry mode, ignored by most people, quietly snickered at by the rest. And at other times people open carrying, but carrying themselves low key, being ignored by people.

Be subtle, be courteous and, at least where I reside, people don't panic in the presence of an exposed firearm.

I have noticed that weekend visitors from a neighboring state seem a bit culture shocked by the locals carrying firearms when they see them exposed. Must be from not living in a Pro 2A state like I live in...thankfully.

It's constitutional carry / open carry in the state I live in.

At least this is my experience so far

Wow, now exercising one's rights makes you a clown. There's no hope for the continuing fight to preserve our rights if some folks get judgy and insulting.

And the only time I carry open if in the field. But open carry is restricted here. If you are blessed to live where it is unrestricted and choose to do so, thanks for exercising your rights it may help those of us still fighting for ours.

HumphreyDaBear

Bearcat
No Jeepnik, open carry does not make a person a clown. But carrying openly in an accentuating manner (such as resting your hand on it constantly, in a box store by the way) to be sure others see you are carrying a firearm Probably does not help exude comfort to some people who have anxiety in our current social environment! especially where firearms are concerned.

And if I choose to use the phrase 'clown type' in an abbreviated description of this particular individual, that would be excercising my First Amendment rights(that's another right they are trying to extinguish). If read in in the complete context it was meant to be written in such a manner as to serve as an explanatory example in an illuminated context, not as an insult.

If you don't mind me asking, in regards to the instance I referenced, were you there? Did you see the other shoppers looks?

If you don't like living in a restricted carry state why not get involved in helping organizations that are championing a pro 2A candidate, or volunteering for pro 2A candidates running for office. That's where the fight truly exists, not with a post I make.

Since you do not know me or my core beliefs, it's interesting you mentioned getting judgy and insulting, rather judge mental IMO.

Have a great day...

We all judge, the important thing is to recognize it and realize that we can at times be wrong .... It's just human nature and is actually probably part of our DNA left over from when we had to in order to protect ourselves.

As for the clown type... I know where you are coming from.... and heck I've probably could have been one of them at some times in the past.... and maybe in the future....
Here's me a few Winters ago with one of my hobbies.... and I've been know to go into town wearing my 'fruit cake' overalls....

DSCN0543 (3).jpeg

"I can understand the rural folks-sort of. They may have to defend against non-human adversaries."
First off, I don't live in 'large predator' country. At times, I've carried a 357 revolver but lately, just carry a convenient sized 22lr on my person. I'm older and don't take a lot of long hikes away from a vehicle which carries a rifle. I've never felt 'under gunned' in any of the close confrontations I've had and most of the varmints I met didn't fare well. Although I don't recommend a 22 for primary SD, I contend that a 22 within reach is better than a 357 or 44 left at home.

I see both sides of the question however I have a problem. I wear suspenders so wearing a shirt that covers my holster would also require covering my suspenders. Now that isn't a major concern UNTIL one has to use the 'throne room'. At that point one must practically undress.

harley08

Blackhawk
Are you saying 'unwise' due to being the target of a gun grabber(part of carrying a gun is maintaining control of the gun), gathering disdaining responses from other people(personally, I don't give a damn what someone else thinks) or being targeted by LEO who wish to discourage ANYONE from being armed (keep the recorder function of your phone handy and tell the fuzz you're recording their actions)?
IMHO, open carry may be 'unwise' in some locations. One big difference is how many folks engage in OC. The more, the better. If one person open carries, it results in unwanted attention. If one THOUSAND open carry, it's totally different.
MO has always been OC in most places and is now 'Constitutional concealed carry'. Neither of these has caused the highly touted 'gunfights in the streets'.
I often OC especially in summer. One would surprised just how few people pay enough attention to notice a discretely holstered handgun. I do notice and the number of citizens(both male and female) with a holster on their belt would surprise some folks.
Open Carry bad?... Pretend your the bad guy - you want to rob a store - you walk in and see three people - you see one with a gun on his hip - you shoot him - then the other two pull out their concealed pistols and blow you away!