oooops! I used small pistol magnums

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bradford

Bearcat
I accidentaly used small pistol magnum primers in about 200 rounds of .40 Is that gonna be ok ? I wish CCI wouldn't write MAGNUM in big letters on ther small pistol Magnum boxes.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, it happens. Now, as to will it hurt to shoot them? Since you didn't post the rest of your reloading info,, we can't tell. Give details as to bullet weight, powder type & weight, and C O A L. That can help determine as to the safety of shooting those rounds.

Chief 101

Hunter
bradford":kj1ju7s7 said:
OK Continder, 180 grain TCFM, 5.2 grains of unique, COAL 1.135 +/_ .006 mixed headstamps.
My edumacated guess would be that since you are at the starting load levels in most of my books is that as long as your gun's firing pin will pounce on the primer hard enough you should be just fine. Maybe you put a primed only case in and find that out. Chief aka Maxx Load

contender

Ruger Guru
I'll look up that info in the morning if I get time.
It sounds like a light load that should be ok to shoot but I will check later.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
A little help Contender,

From the 2008 Alliant Reloader's guide:

180 grain Speer GDHP, CCI 500, 1.120 OAL, Speer case, 1000 fps, max load 6.7 grain of Unique.

From Lyman's 48th:

180 grain JHP, 1.115 OAL, Unique 4.9 min - 5.6 max for 839 - 916 fps.

Lee Second Edition:

180 grain Jacketed, 1.125 min OAL, Unique 5.8 min - 6.4 max for 977 - 1065 fps.

EDIT: This data makes me wonder about all that "Unique recipe change" talk.

contender

Ruger Guru
I had a hell of a couple of busy days here, and didn't get time to do several things. So, by the above posted info, it appears that those loads should be ok, IN A QUALITY GUN!!!!!!!!

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
"Primers" are a constant source of discussion material and I guess that will never change. But I do find it interesting that many believe the primer is a "dangerous" device. Yet I know I have never heard of a "primer" destroying a gun - or anything else for that matter. Of course there are slight differences between the types of primers and different manufacturers but on the whole they are simply made to produce a spark. The real variables in reloading are in the powder charge, powder type (IMO the main culprit in blown-up guns) plus bullet weight and type. For example, looking at a variety of loading manuals you will find hundreds of different combinations just for the .40 S&W. Some manuals do not even list a preferred primer. There is no doubt that primers can affect accuracy by changing the ignition rate for various powders, but the effect is miniscule. It is far, far, more dangerous to exceed a published maximum powder charge for a particular cartridge (something reloaders do frequently) than to substitute a "magnum" primer for a standard version. Now, if I am wrong I'd like to see some evidence to the contrary. Also, I'd like to see some simple comparison test data for the difference (in velocity for exsample) resulting from loading various types of primers behind the exact same powder charge and bullet. In fact I may try this out myself sometime soon as there is always curiosity. I don't believe I'll blow myself up. But I'll let you know if I do. Gerry

GaSidewinder

Bearcat
I have never been able to tell the difference between the standard and magnum primers and have used both.
I definately would not think twice about that load in my gun.