One of those days

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
Purchased another 10-22 last week and proceeded to rebuild it. Got it done over the weekend and finally got to shoot it last night. I went out to the farm and set up a target at 50yds and begin to zero the gun. I loaded the gun and went to apply the safety and found out it would not engage. Ok I'll fix that when I get back home. Made sure that muzzle was always down range and continued.

First off it was too windy but I thought I could at least get it in the area and come back later when the wind had settled. The wind blew the target off of the stand several times and I would have to walk back to the stand and put the target back up. First few shots didn't even hit the paper so I moved up to 25yds to start. It was way low and right. Corrected that and moved back to 50yds. Had more of a pattern than a group. Couldn't cover pattern with a six inch plate. Then the gun started missfiring and jamming. I had not cleaned the mag when rebuilding the gun.

By the time I had walked back down to the target and put it back up about a dozen times I decided it was time to call it a night. Went home and had a good supper of roast beef and fresh garden veggies.

After supper I went to gun bench and proceeded to tear into the rifle and find out what the problems were. Magazine was a no brainer. Needed cleaned. Safety issue was because I had changed the trigger sear because the orginal was broke and new one was a tad too long at safety button. Rechecked scope mounts for tight and reassembled rifle. I will try again tonight to zero. This gun is older issue with standard barrel. It should shoot better.

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
I changed the barrel at noon. I'll try it again after work. Looks like the wind has settled a little. Probably pick back up about quittin' time. If this barrel isn't any better I may have to buy a target barrel for it. That means I'll have to buy a new stock for it. That means I'll probably have to buy a new Clark trigger kit for it. That means I'll have to put a set of bipods on it. Oh the humanities. Where will it all end?

Hello. My name is Mike. I'm a Rugerholic.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
mjpchief":3kyor8yy said:
I changed the barrel at noon. I'll try it again after work. Looks like the wind has settled a little. Probably pick back up about quittin' time. If this barrel isn't any better I may have to buy a target barrel for it. That means I'll have to buy a new stock for it. That means I'll probably have to buy a new Clark trigger kit for it. That means I'll have to put a set of bipods on it. Oh the humanities. Where will it all end?

Hello. My name is Mike. I'm a Rugerholic.

I don't think it does. The only thing that's saved me so far is that I haven't done anything to my one and only (I know...blasphemy) 10/22 as I like it in it's stock configuration. But when number 2 comes along...look out!

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
Went out last night and tried again. Started out with about a 2" group at 50yds and couldn't get it any better until I took the barrel band off. It then grouped at about 1". Still not good enough. I am in the process now of free floating the barrel. I will try again this weekend. Still getting a few missfires. Don't know if it's the gun or ammo. Using Remington bulk pack. May try some Winchesters next.

And I made an offer on another 10-22 Yesterday. Looks like I will probably get it. Heeelllp Meeee!!