One of my nicer guns...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I don't have many "fancy" guns, but I guess this one is as close as it gets in my little collection. Old model flattop . 44 cut to 4 5/8", CCH cylinder frame by Turnbull, steel gripframe and ejector housing, locking base pin. Grips are just some nicer than usual factory panels. Custom work was done by the late John Gallagher. El Paso Saddlery belt, Bianchi holster, knife is by Camillus.
IMG_20220818_104236914.jpg
IMG_20220818_104151348.jpg
IMG_20220818_104112176.jpg

Thanks all. I enjoyed having this one put together, but I really haven't shot it much. I have a workhorse . 44 Special built on an old model flattop . 357 frame that's seen more action. I've decided the pictured . 44 mag will be this deer season's main carrying sidearm, so maybe it will see some action between now and January of '23.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Thanks all. I enjoyed having this one put together, but I really haven't shot it much. I have a workhorse . 44 Special built on an old model flattop . 357 frame that's seen more action. I've decided the pictured . 44 mag will be this deer season's main carrying sidearm, so maybe it will see some action between now and January of '23.
Nice! No pointless bling, just classy.

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with the comments above,, very classy & good looking gun. Not overdone or extensive.

I'm one who prefers to see the older, rarer guns kept in their original configuration, as they are already harder to come by. But I also know that sometimes a gun has been used (& abused) to where it get a new life as a properly rebuilt classic. And in things like this,, it's obvious that the work was done to compliment the original gun, with a touch of "adjustments."

Very nice!

I agree with the comments above,, very classy & good looking gun. Not overdone or extensive.

I'm one who prefers to see the older, rarer guns kept in their original configuration, as they are already harder to come by. But I also know that sometimes a gun has been used (& abused) to where it get a new life as a properly rebuilt classic. And in things like this,, it's obvious that the work was done to compliment the original gun, with a touch of "adjustments."

Very nice!
Yeah, Ty, I feel the same. But the flattop that was the base gun for this one was no collector piece for sure - appreciable finish wear, and had a bulged barrel about 1" short of the muzzle. Not sure what had happened there, but it cleaned up perfectly at 4 5/8". I've seen people spend $500 to make a $500 gun into a $400 gun, but I feel that wasn't the case here.

That said, I still want an decent shooter grade example of an all original flattop . 44. I have two including this one, but bother are non-original. My other is an original 7 1/2" gun but had been drilled and tapped. Ugly. John Gallagher to the rescue again. He tig welded the holes in the top strap, deblued the whole gun, added steel gripframe and ERH and a locking basepin. My intent is to send it to Turnbull as well for CCH'ing the cylinder frame to make a matching pair, a short and a long barrel. Maybe have some matching grips made up.

G2

Hunter
I Like it! Nice job.

… I like em both ways, all dolled up and well kept, well used, shooters that get custom features such as a Super Hammer, Brass Grip Frame, etc..

Zeke38

Bearcat
What a nice setup, gun leather and knife. I'd wear that rig often and with a puffed out chest!